Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Sendero owners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2005, 03:03 AM
Silver Member

Re: Sendero owners

I definitely agree with these guys, I have had a sendero reworked by Kirby and it is an incredible gun. I was just making that suggestion because your post seemed to imply that you wanted to make the improvements yourself. I skim bedded my vsf( my first bedding job), and it was not pretty. I either screwed it up bad enough, or I miraculously hit "that sweet spot," because my vsf shoots incredible now (consistent 3" groups at 700). If you want to know it's done right, send it to a good smith. You will definitely see the difference.
The HS stocks have the same bedding block and if you want a project it can be done. If you want to be sure it is done perfectly have an experienced smith do it for you. My vsf was just a little testing project, once I shoot this barrel out I will definitely be summoning Kirby to totally rework this rifle and totally re-do the bedding.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:47 AM
Silver Member

I have a couple of Sendero's, which I have skim bedded. Both rifles are semi-customs and both shot tighter, more consistant groups after being bedded.

Here is the last one I did, it's on a 6.5x284 (.291 nk) that I wanted to extract every last bit of accuracy I could wring from the stock so I did the action sides as well as a supporting pad under the first two inches of the chamber beyond the recoil lug as it is fitted with a no7 profile Krieger.

(I think that this stock is a Bell and Carlson, as it is slightly different inside to the HS on my other 700)

I just ground out the aluminium areas to recieve the Devcon as I would for a wooden stocked rifle.

I was toying with purchasing an A5 for this rifle, but the damn thing shoots so well now, I cannot justify the expense [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Now I have another project in the melting pot that uses an A5 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2005, 11:16 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the info guys! Keep it coming. This rifle, I believe, has the potential to shoot quite well; not withstanding its factory shortcomings. I would like to do the bedding myself as it seems simple enough and if it comes down to it, I'll just get the A-5 theat I've been eyeing and have someone else fix it. Again thank you all and have a Merry Christmas!
Savage/ Broughton 23" .308
Old 12-25-2005, 09:26 PM
Gold Member

I have a 300rum that I skim bedded, just did the minimal prep of roughing up the aluminum block so the bedding material would stick.

I can't say how much the bedding helped since I did it before I fired the first round out of the new rifle. I can say it shoots 1/2" groups out of an otherwise factory rifle. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Bedding a stock is not that complicated and others have supplied some great links for "how to" information. However I do concur that if you have time, just send it to Kirby, you won't be dissapointed.