Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

This Sectional Density thing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-09-2014, 12:31 PM
Gold Member
This Sectional Density thing

Could someone explain to me the concept of Sectional Density...............I see that the 6.5 have a lot higher SD than most 308 bullets

Whats the advantage to shooting bullets with a high SD I would think that the weight of the bullet would matter more.................................

A 6.5 140 has a really high SD higher than some bullets that are a lot heavier I would think that the bullet mass and weight would make up for its lack of SD

Unread 06-09-2014, 04:39 PM
Platinum Member
Re: This Sectional Density thing

I believe Chuck Hawks explains it pretty well ...

Sectional Density

I have a great woman, fantastic kids, a warm place to sleep and an accurate rifle. Life is good ..............
Hunter Safety Instructor - California Hunter Safety Meritorious Service 1971 - 1972. Rifle/Pistol Marksmanship Instructor - NRA Life Member

American rifleman's triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
Unread 06-09-2014, 05:36 PM
Bronze Member
Re: This Sectional Density thing

The sectional density of the bullet is a part or the formula used to calculate the bullets B.C. / ballistc coefficients. Something like the ratio of the bullets sectional density to its form factor