Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Seating into the lands

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2003, 11:46 PM
Silver Member

Re: Seating into the lands

Jerry,

I have tired that method as well.. If i short seat the bullet so that just enough holds it in place i cant even shut the bolt.. So what i was thinking since the short seat is allready against the lands if i split the case and do the same thing im never actually moving off the lands and instead im just using the lands to push the bullet back into the case till the bolt shuts smoothly.. Am I wrong in thinkin this? This is a single shot so i dont have to worry about it fiting into a mag..

6.5 Bandit
Old 05-10-2003, 02:02 AM
Platinum Member

I remember posting the pic before but couldn't remember who it was for or where, wasn't trying to beat a dead horse with you fellas.

More than one way to skin a cat, just thought I'd share my experience as compared the other methods I've used. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Always interested in new ideas, I found this one, someone over at Accurate reloading.com turned me onto it a while back I think. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2003, 05:31 AM
Silver Member

6.5 Bandit
Hi, One more way to skin that cat is use the marker as stated above BUT use a Fired case,preferably a factory case fired from the rifle your are gonna relaod for, seat it in your guns chanber, remove the bullet from the chanber, measure oal(write the measurment down), pull the bullet out a bit remark it with marker,reseat in your rifle, Measure oal (write it down again) and repeat. Average the three measurements and ya ya should be dead in the lans, IF the bullet is to loose in the neck , neck size but only about half, that will give some neck tension to hold the bullet. Your way shure made sence also. BUT what ever works for you.
All 10 on or bust!!!

[ 05-26-2003: Message edited by: baldeagle713 ]

[ 05-26-2003: Message edited by: baldeagle713 ]