Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-20-2008, 08:01 AM
Bronze Member
Re: scopes? turrets?

Originally Posted by jasonstewart View Post
the aftermarket turrets? where all are they available from? im new to this.
Leupold will put M1 turrets on for a reasonable price. I would do that.

Unread 09-20-2008, 08:18 AM
Silver Member
Re: scopes?

i would like to receive as many opinions as possible to this. i have recently started shooting long range. i have a 300 win mag winchester model 70 laredo lrh. i have a leupold vari-x iii 3.5x10x50ao on it now. it has a heavy duplex reticle. i also have a vari-xiii 6.5x20x40ao with a fine duplex reticle sitting in the closet on a 30-06. my question is whether i should use one of these scopes or purchase a super sniper, bushnell elite tactical, burris tactical, etc...
Send one of those to the leupold custom shop and have them change the reticle and add some turrets. Either a traditional Mil-Dot setup or the TMR would be and outstanding reticle choice.

i dont really see that much difference between them when set the same as far as light transmission and paralax are concerned. any information would be great. i can afford about $800 for a new scope if this is necessary. thanks, jason stewart
Objective size is highly over-rated! I have scopes with both 40 and 50 mm objectives and it is all about glass quality not size. If you want good light transmission you will need to pay for the glass. I'm not saying that leupold doesn't have decent glass but I am saying that their are others out there that are much better. It sort of falls like this:

Burris XTS
Bushnell elite/3200/etc....
Super Sniper
Falcon Menace

Nikon Monarchs
Leupold (VXIII and up)

Sightron (SIII's and Big skys)
Schmidt & Bender

Now this list is simply stating glass quality not overall quality or value. But it gets my point across. You have a quality scope in the VXIII and I would just have it redone at the custom shop. However if you are looking to upgrade I would look at sightron. Best bang for the buck in my opinion; plus it sits in your price range.
Unread 09-20-2008, 10:02 AM
Silver Member
Re: scopes?

My list would have to be something like this....

Absolute Best - Schmidt & Bender
Second Place (but not by much!)-US Optics
Third - NightForce
Fourth - Leupold

Leupold has more options than any other "over the counter" scope manufacture, and thier glass is very good. The top two have great glass, but boy does it cost, around $3600 for S & B, with US Optics having glass that costs that also, but with quite a bit more affordable too.

I personaly don't think Zeiss or Swaro scopes are durable enough to be listed with these others, but haven't had the chance to take any of thier offerings in the woods or field, just some surveys I've read, and experiences of others. They break.

I suppose if you have a safe queen, they would work fine, I take mine to the field and use them.
Portate bien o te lleva el cucuy

Last edited by littletoes; 09-20-2008 at 11:15 AM.