Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

scope selection help: max power ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2006, 08:13 AM
Silver Member

scope selection help: max power ?

need a scope for a sendero 300 RUM. I will be using it mostly for long range (600 - 800 deer hunting/ (1k or so)target shooting. I can't decide the max power i should have. i have been thinking about a nikon 4.5-14 SF or 6-18 SF, burris 6-24, or even a burris 8-32 but that is probably a bit much. weight is not a concern since i have other rifles to carry. the scope needs to have target turrents. i have a 4-16 burris mounted on a .30-378, but would like a bit more power for my 300 RUM to make this rifle a dedicated long range gun. if i need to i will get burris dual dovetail rings with the inserts to make up for elevation adjustments. the reason for the extra power is here in pennsylvania we have antler restrictions and need to count points. sometimes we need all the help we can get.

did anyone ever try a swift scope? i know they are not as good as burris/leupold/nikon. are their adjustments repeatable? this would be for another gun, 26" 25-06 encore.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:58 AM
Silver Member

Re: scope selection help: max power ?

The burris is probably your most economical option. I would not go over 24 power in anything. It becomes a little useless IMO. If you believe more power is required after that, then get a spotting scope. I have a burris 8-32 and I rarely have it above 24 power. The clarity and brightness decreases to the point that I think I can see things better at 24 than 32. Plus the elevation adjustment range decreases.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Silver Member

As far as I'm concerned, for a hunting application, under poor light conditions, anything above 12X is not useful. I'd consider the 4.5X14 or 5.5X15 4X16(?) something on that order so as to include your target shooting. I have a 6X24 Burris and it is a poor performer under low light conditions, even at 6X. It's a bright daylight varmint scope, in my opinion.

Good hunting. LB
Old 02-04-2006, 09:35 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I would agree, For big game hunting out to the ranges you list I use scopes in the 4.5-14 or 4-16x ranges. You can certainly get away with more scope but in low light conditions when most of the shooting will take place its a waste.

Don;t get caught up thinking you need alot of magnification to shoot at big game out to 1/2 mile or so, it is not needed. 14x is plenty for taking quality shots on deer size game even out to 1K with a quality scope.

Remember glass quality is every bit as important as magnfication power. If you can afford it, get the best glass you can. If you have to wait to save up I would highly recommend this to get a quality scope, you will never be sorry you did.

I hate to say this but I have seen several of the new Burris Signature scopes that were less then impressive optically. Not sure what the difference is with these but I have several Fullfield II scopes that are much brighter and clearer. I will say the Burris Signatures I played with were 8-32 models so I am sure this has alot to do with it but they are not what they used to be.

The Black Diamond is much better but a very large scope as well.

I would recommend buying a quality set of binos or a good spotter and leave the riflescope in the 4-14, 4-16 power range.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 02-04-2006, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

20-22x is much more practical than 30+ power. You just cant see clearly with all the mirage and impurities in the air with an above 22x scope. 20 power scopes are great at the range and OK during the hunt, but 10-15x is ample scope for 600-800 yard deer size critter hunting and let in much more light.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:39 AM
Platinum Member

I'm with everybody else here. I use 12x out to 1k. Just wanted to mention nikon introduced a new reticle this year, similar to the ballistic plex and b&c reticles. Reticle provides fairly accurate poa out to 500 without having to dial.

I was going to buy the nikon you mentioned, but have decided to wait for a look at the new reticle.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Silver Member

thanks for the advice everyone. i've been puting alot of thought into this scope. since everyone says 15-18 power is enough power. what scopes should i look at? the nikon buckmasters 4.5-14 SF or 6-18 SF, burris's, leupolds? i'll have about $500 to spend. the reason i mentioned the burris 6-24 was i found one brand new for $389. i've read lots and lots of topic's on the site but still never made a decision for a scope. which manufacturer's should i look at? should i pass on the buckmasters line?