Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Scope rings and bases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Scope rings and bases

I went with Badger Ordnance 20 moa base and there 30mm .885 rings for my build! They seem to be a few more dollars than other brands, however, I have had really good luck with there products in the past! There are a lot of brands out there, just do a search and or listen to what others say they are using. The only base I ever heard negative things about were the EGW. Good luck and post some pics.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures/Ongoing Shooting Thread
Old 07-17-2012, 11:31 AM

I was under the impressing that if I utilized a one peice base (20moa or standard Leupy)that it likely would need to be bedded to the top of the reciever. Otherwise when I tightened the base down it would put unwanted torque on the reciever.

Most of my hunting rigs have the two piece Leupy bases with dove tail rings, lapped. I also have two "longer range" rigs with 30mm tubes mounted on 20moa bases -bedded.

I did all of this because I was told this was the way the big boys in the benchrest world did it?

My experience firing 1000s of rounds with the methods mentioned above ... from .223 to .300 Wby Mag ... no problems. I think so long as you get a quality set of bases and rings (as mentioned by previous posts) you should be fine.

Good Luck and Good shooting!
Old 07-17-2012, 09:38 PM
Silver Member

+2 on the EGW bases, my 300 RUM and 280AI both wear 'em and the glass is clamped in with Warne Permanent steel rings. NEVER a problem and total mounting system for around $70. Might not be as sexy as others but they just plain work.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookturnr View Post
+2 on the EGW bases, my 300 RUM and 280AI both wear 'em and the glass is clamped in with Warne Permanent steel rings. NEVER a problem and total mounting system for around $70. Might not be as sexy as others but they just plain work.
I've got bot NF and EGW rails for my rifles.

No problem with either. I only bought the NF's because they were on sale and honestly at regular prices I simply don't see paying the extra for the NF's.

As for rings I've tried just about all of them and for the money or even quite a bit more I don't think you can beat the TPS-TSR or TSRW's.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Silver Member

Near Mfg rail and badger ord. or Seekins rings. Unless you know someone cooler than me and can get D.D.Ross rings.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:06 PM
Silver Member

diesel- I appreciate the input. Near Mfg rails look like great rails but, a little to rich for my wallet. They are about twice much as I want to spend at this time. I'm more in the the price range of $150 for the rail and rings. You have to understand that my wife is going to kill me if I spend a whole lot more money on this rifle. And I still have to purchace my scope.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburton View Post
diesel- I appreciate the input. Near Mfg rails look like great rails but, a little to rich for my wallet. They are about twice much as I want to spend at this time. I'm more in the the price range of $150 for the rail and rings. You have to understand that my wife is going to kill me if I spend a whole lot more money on this rifle. And I still have to purchace my scope.
EGW and TSR then. You and the wife will both be a lot happier.

What size tube does your scope have on it? I've got all kinds of spare used rings around and all are very high quality.