Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Scope rings and bases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 12:06 AM
Silver Member

Scope rings and bases

I am looking for scope rings and bases for my rifle. I am just not sure what are good rings and what are not. There are soo many out there these days. In the past I have used Leupold dovetail rings and bases. They have work pretty good. Is there something out there better for the money? This is where I need your help. They will be going on a semi-custom Win Model 70 long action. They need to be 30mm rings. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:57 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Scope rings and bases

For the price it's hard to beat the EGW picatinny rails. In fact for the money I don't think they can be beat.

I've tried lots of rings from weaver tactical to badger, to leupold Mk IV to the TPS-TSR and TPS-TSRW's and I really am extremely happy with the TSR's.

TSR Scope Rings

Great quality for an exceptionally reasonable price.

What caliber rifle are they going on?

On any of the big magnums it's not a bad idea to have your smith drill an extra hole through the rail into the reciever to pin it in place to ensure it can never shear off. It's also not a bad idea to have him put 8-40 screws in, instead of 6-40's for again a little added strength.

A LR rifle scope can weigh in excess of 2 lbs depending on the brand and model and with that much weight sitting on top of a big magnum the added strength is anything but a waste. It has never happened to me but I have seen a couple of scopes shear off and man watching your 1,000.00 plus optic go flying into the rocks is a very ugly thing to have to go through.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Silver Member

WildRose- I appreciate the response. I will look into those. I am not familiar with either. The rifle is a 7mm Rem Mag that has the recoil of a .243. The scope thats going on it is a Vortex Viper HS LR. So the weight of the scope should not be a factor I wouldn't think.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member

PB,
In the past I have also used the Leupold Dual Dovetail rings/bases. They look nice but don't however, let the rifleman employ much MOA for LR shooting.
I now use Leupold STD bases and Burris Signature rings with inserts on most of my rifles. Leupold makes a Long Range version (with MOA milled in) of this base for Remington and Savage rifles and Wincester short actions. I couldn't find one for the M70 LA though.
The rings; $61.99 (Midway # 16558 - Burris 30mm Signature STD Rings Matte High) and bases; $25.99 (#103959 - Leupold 1-piece STD scope base Win M70 LA Matte) together are priced lower than most picatinny rings!
I use these on Savages, Remingtons and Winchesters from .300WInMag down to .243Win and haven't had any scopes come off. Then again I don't jump out of Humvee's and tank's. Good luck in your decision. JohnnyK.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:41 PM
Bronze Member

PB,

Everyone here has a good suggestion for you. I have a TPS one piece 20 MOA base that I purchased from SWFA for $65 which included shipping which i like as well as TPS 30mm rings. There are a whole bunch of stuff out there from Burris, Luepold, Nightforce,Badger Ordinance, Blackhawk etc. It all depends on how much $$$$ you want to spend and quality you are looking for. My own preference that i like are one piece bases and as far as rings go, i like them with at least 4 torx screws per ring. Enjoy what you get and then you can see what you like and dont like and go from there.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Silver Member

I appreciate all the input. I still have not decided what rings and base I am going to go with. But, I still have time since my rifle will be at the gunsmiths for another couple weeks getting finnished up. I do like the idea of the picatinny rail. I looks like it will give some flexability with mounting the scope. Thanks again.

Paul
Old 07-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburton View Post
I appreciate all the input. I still have not decided what rings and base I am going to go with. But, I still have time since my rifle will be at the gunsmiths for another couple weeks getting finnished up. I do like the idea of the picatinny rail. I looks like it will give some flexability with mounting the scope. Thanks again.

Paul
The rail mounts also help to stiffen the action by taking some of the flex out of the top vs individual ring mounts on front and back.