Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Which scope for my 1st rig?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 08:39 AM
Bronze Member

Which scope for my 1st rig?

Hi all I was hoping that you could help me with a scope selection for my rifle. I just purchased a Remingotn Sendero in 7mm Rem Mag for my long range rifle. I plan on using this for western hunts on elk, deer and antelope. At 8 1/4 pounds it is heavy but I carried a Weatherby Accumark this past elk season for 9 days without too much trouble but if I can keep the weight down that would be a good thing.

Im looking for something that has turrets to dial the range. I have a leupold 4.5 - 14 scope with the Boone and crocket reticle on my Accumark which works fine but Im looking to expand my horizons so to speak.

I was considering a Huskemaw scope but one of my hunting buddies said there are a lot of scopes out there that would accomplish what I want to do. I was leaning towards the Huskemaw because it seems like it would be farily simple in the field. To be honest the spinning of turrets and counting clicks or hashmarks is intimidating to me.

I anticipate a budget of about $1,200 to fund a scope purchase. If anyone has any scope recommendations for me that would be great. Im feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the chocies out there right now.

Thanks in advance. Mike
Old 02-01-2009, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Which scope for my 1st rig?

With turrets practice is the key. I perfer Mark 4, IOR, and Night Force NXS. Don't over look the need for a good rangefinder, ballistic software, and windmeter. Spend the money on optics only once. It is expensive getting set up. If you buy good components right away you won't have to buy them again in the near future.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 02-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

$1200 for a scope....spend a few more bucks...~$1500 and buy a NightForce. They are arguably the best scopes. My personal choice would be the 5.5-22x56 5.5-22x50 & 5.5-22x56
Old 02-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
To be honest the spinning of turrets and counting clicks or hashmarks is intimidating to me.
I wish you lived close to us because it would only take one day at Quantico for me or 280fan to cure you. You would be twirling and spinning like a prima ballerina.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member

I agree with BB and 280 I just bought my third Nightforce NXS. I paid $1550 for all of them and I have two 5.5-22X56 NPR2 and one 5.5-22X50 NPR1. My inexperienced eyes can't tell the difference between NF, Mark4, or IOR yet. But I am working on it.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 02-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Bronze Member

Guys I dont mind paying more to get set up correctly the first time. Will the Nightforce be fine for a hunting application? Any issues with the reticles being too "busy" ? Mike
Old 02-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Platinum Member

never had a problem with it being to busy. The npr1(elev. 1moa hashes and wind are 2moa hashes) npr2(elev. 2moa hashes and wind are 5moa hashes.) I like the npr1 recticle better. I have all nf's on my hunting rifles and an IOR on my competing rifle. The best way is to find somebody with one and shoot it. That goes for all the scopes you are considering. If you are close to ND you sure can come and shoot mine. I might even be able to scrounge up a mark 4 to compare also.

Brent