Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Scope issues....help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 08:27 PM

Scope issues....help

I have a new Savage 111LRH in 300 Win mag. I have a EGW one piece picatinny rail and a new vortex HS LR 4-16x50 FFP scope. I mounted it properly, lapped the rings (vortex HS quick release rings) and torqued it all. Took it to the range and looked down the bore at 100 yards, then tried to get the crosshairs even close. It's all the way down and not even close to the target, way too high. What do I do? Thanks.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Scope issues....help

So.. is this a 20 minute rail ? Or a "straight rail ?
Old 04-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Silver Member

Might have your rail turned around. Post pics of your set up, might be able to see the issue.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

This is a 75MOA elevation scope, so it has at least 37.5 minutes whichever way. Even if the rail were 180deg out and a 20 min rail, you should have no problem zeroing it. Take that EGW rail off and beat it with a 10lb hammer to put it out of its misery and get a decent precision machined rail.

The Warne M667M20MOA rail is a 20 min steel rail for the Savage accutrigger long action. Opticsplanet is listing it for $121 You will never regret fitting a steel rail. Never entrust your scope investment to a POS aluminum part. It is absolutely the wrong place to save money.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

Thats pretty harsh. Personally, I have no issue with the EGW rail. I've read that people have, but not me. It's T8, hard anosized and normalized btw. EGW supplies quite a few components to Savage.

I'm almost wondering if the scope has an issue. I'd mount an alternative and have a look-see through that.

Lets eliminate the other possibilities before crucifying the rail. Far as the scope, Vortex will stand behind it 110%.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

I have had issues with every single aluminum rail or set of rings I ever got. The reason being that my gunsmith/FFL is a cheapskate. The only rails and rings he buys and carries are chinese made aluminum junk.

I have bought EGW rails too, but before that time I had already made the switch to the steel Warne rings. After my experience with 1 EGW rail I said never again.

The OP has spent close to $850 buying his scope, and now is going to use a $43 aluminum part to hold that investment, in addition to the rings ? On a rimfire or a 223, the only time you will notice the difference is if the gun were to fall over and take a knock. But on a 300WM ????

I was actually surprised how hard it was to get a one piece rail for my savage in all the local gun stores. Several people tried to sell me rails for the old style flat rear receiver but on my short action it was obvious that the holes didn't line up. Then I noticed the mismatch in the curvature between the parts. I don't know if one can make the mistake of mounting a rail for a non accutrigger on one of the current actions. That is sure to be far enough off to cause a problem with zeroing. It just seems that it would be obvious that it was not the right part.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
I have had issues with every single aluminum rail or set of rings I ever got. The reason being that my gunsmith/FFL is a cheapskate. The only rails and rings he buys and carries are chinese made aluminum junk.

EGW Rails and components are made in Pennsylvania btw. Not offshore, closer to the Jersey Shore than we are, I'll admit.

I have bought EGW rails too, but before that time I had already made the switch to the steel Warne rings. After my experience with 1 EGW rail I said never again.

I use Warne rings as well. a PITA to lap but doable.

The OP has spent close to $850 buying his scope, and now is going to use a $43 aluminum part to hold that investment, in addition to the rings ? On a rimfire or a 223, the only time you will notice the difference is if the gun were to fall over and take a knock. But on a 300WM ????

EGW's are a bit more than 43 bucks. Badger Ordinance and Nightforce are more than EGW but there is nothing wrong with close tolerance machined aluminum, especially hard (T8) and anodized.

I was actually surprised how hard it was to get a one piece rail for my savage in all the local gun stores. Several people tried to sell me rails for the old style flat rear receiver but on my short action it was obvious that the holes didn't line up. Then I noticed the mismatch in the curvature between the parts. I don't know if one can make the mistake of mounting a rail for a non accutrigger on one of the current actions. That is sure to be far enough off to cause a problem with zeroing. It just seems that it would be obvious that it was not the right part.
Could be he has the wrong rail. I'd check the rail for fit on the receiver. I'm assuming the OP did check the fitment prior to securing the rail, or did he?