Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

savage short action bolt head vrs long action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 05:16 PM
Silver Member

savage short action bolt head vrs long action

is there anything stopping me using a savage short action bolt head in a long action. apart from the little milled out slot on the back of the long action bolt head which i would have to do to the short action bolt head. the cams on the long action bolt head are thicker but with the savage could i not just thread the barrel in further to make up for this to get the right head space.
If this isnt possible then does anyone have a long bolt head they would swap for a short action one in 7mm08 face that they would be willing to ship to nz.
or i pay you via palpay and you get ione from midway usa and ship it to nz at my expense.
cheers
Old 09-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Bronze Member

Re: savage short action bolt head vrs long action

Dont know about the short vs long action head but the boltface for a 7-08 is the same as a 30-06 or 270 win which are long action calibers if that makes it easier
Old 09-21-2009, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member

I have presonally done this the other way, long action bolthead on a short action and it works fine. So I would ASSUMEas long as you mill out the little indentation on the bolthead you should be fine.

You may want to PM geargrinder, he's very sharp on the Savages.

Chris
Old 05-24-2010, 07:37 AM
Gold Member

im doing a build where im using a short 11 savage with a 308 bolt face. the magnum ill be using is slightly longer and will need trimming. also the firing pin hole needs opening up as well as the notch you mention. we will chamber as you indicated for the lug varieation. we wont be using the barrel nut.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Silver Member

I've got a standard bolt head off a Stevens 200 that I could get rid of. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.