Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

is the savage model 11 long range hunter a good starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 06:39 PM
Bronze Member

Re: is the savage model 11 long range hunter a good starter?

Any updates on the Long-Range Hunter model ?? How about accuracy ??

Curious about .308 but I've heard the .300 win is pretty accurate also...
Old 12-09-2010, 02:46 PM

I have shot the model 11 LRH in .308 win and was extremely impressed. fit my arms very well and had sub .5MOA groups when conditions stayed just right. and there was a decent reduction in recoil from the brake being turned on. not huge but anything helps. may be more noticeable on the .300 win mag too being that its a more gassy round. all i can recommend is to use it with brake on all the time or off all the time because i noticed a 1.5"shift in POI when the brake was turned off.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexthepilot View Post
I have shot the model 11 LRH in .308 win and was extremely impressed. fit my arms very well and had sub .5MOA groups when conditions stayed just right. and there was a decent reduction in recoil from the brake being turned on. not huge but anything helps. may be more noticeable on the .300 win mag too being that its a more gassy round. all i can recommend is to use it with brake on all the time or off all the time because i noticed a 1.5"shift in POI when the brake was turned off.

Haha ! Gassy round... Me too...

Good info about the POI change with brake on vs. off...

I'm done researching which savages are accurate, settled on a used Model 12 F/TR in .308 with very little use... Hope it shoots well. Now I have a lot of handloading stuff to shop for.

Anyone like Lee Collet dies ? Or do you use the bushing-type (Redding, forstner) ?
Old 12-09-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barthmonster View Post
Haha ! Gassy round... Me too...

Good info about the POI change with brake on vs. off...

I'm done researching which savages are accurate, settled on a used Model 12 F/TR in .308 with very little use... Hope it shoots well. Now I have a lot of handloading stuff to shop for.

Anyone like Lee Collet dies ? Or do you use the bushing-type (Redding, forstner) ?
Good choice with the FTR. my instructor shoots the FTR .308 and with reloads i watched him make 5 rounds touch at 500 yards...and thats the only rifle he owns that hasnt been customized at all lol

No experience with any of those dies. always used RCBS myself and had very good consistency and brass life. never had any reason to try anything else
Old 12-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barthmonster View Post

I have the Lee Collet dies. They work very well and I have stuffed a few thousand casings through it. What hasn't lasted is my bench top! The body die has some brass build up in it for some reason. I will eventually have to send that one back to Lee and get it polished.

The Redding dies are nice too. I would suggest those because you can get more consistent neck tension. Just a thought.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!