Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

is the savage model 11 long range hunter a good starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2010, 02:25 PM

is the savage model 11 long range hunter a good starter?

Hey guys i was wondering if anybody has any experience with the new savage 111 long range hunter. I was originally looking at the remy 700 xcr tactical long range but ive reconcidered that rifle as i think its a bit pricey for what you get as the flexy fore-end in the stock isnt what i call quality. So i was wondering if the savage is better value for money and i was wondering if it had a free floating barrel?
Ohh yeah btw this is basically a starter fifle for introducing myself to ranges of about 600 to 800 yards.

Im looking at the 300. win mag version and i was looking to put a harris bipod and a decent scope on it for around 1000$

the total should come to around 2000$

Thankyou for any help in advance

Jay
Old 04-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: is the savage model 11 long range hunter a good starter?

For saving money savage is the way to go in my opinion. I don't know much about the model 11's but I have worked with the 12's. 11's should be free floated and the stocks usually have a basic set of pillars.

I am building a carry rifle in a 6.5X284norma with a model 112BVSS currently.

Sharp shooter supply has alot of cool stuff for the savages

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 04-04-2010, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member

The 111LRH is the cream of the crop in my opinion. I have just recently been able to handle the Accu-Stock. Needless to say it is a very comfortable and stable platform. The fore end is stable and the aluminum bedding that most guys look for in a quality rifle is already included. The barrel is generously free floated and usually a guy can run a credit card between the barrel and stock. The nicer part of the rifle is the addition of the adjustable cheek piece. This rifle will do wonders for you and your adventure into long range hunting. Another caliber to consider is the Mod 11LRH in 300WSM. I own a Mod 12 Low Profile in 300 WSM cutting .690 MOA (Minute Of Angle) in prone position with a variable wind at 300 yards. I could have done better with a still day. The 300WM will work just as well, but you use about 10grns less with the WSM.

Good luck in your decision,
Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 04-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Bronze Member

looks like a good one got muzzle brake to dont know how good it works it being adjustable probly threaded so would be hard to swap maybe somebody will chime in
Old 04-05-2010, 07:09 AM

Re: is the savage model 111 long range hunter a good starter?

Greatt stuff guys, the more i hear about this rifle the more i like it!

the only thing that is a downside of the rifle is the hinged floorplate ive never been a fan of them but its a small price to pay for a quality rifle.

Overall i think this would be an excellent starter rifle for money and there is a good chance i will order this model soon

If there is any more comments or doubts on this rifle or any suggetions of a better rifle with a free floating barrel etc. for a about 1000$ help me out thanks

Jay
Old 04-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Bronze Member

pretty sure you can swap to a clip i think sharp shooters supply sell the stuff probably order it from brownells too
Old 04-06-2010, 10:26 AM

sweeet i was hoping there was a solution for that thanks for the input checking it out now