Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Savage Long Range Hunter Scope/Mounting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 04:13 PM

Savage Long Range Hunter Scope/Mounting

Hello,
I am new to hunting style rifles and scopes in general. I have been shooting for years but handguns and AR rifles with red dots, and then my friends rifles. I may sound like a total idiot, but I am ok with that, everyone was at this point one time or another.

I just bought a Savage Long Range Hunter 11/111 7mm Rem Mag and also a Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50 scope. My goal is to reach 1000+ yards but I know that will take time. I do want to also go down as close as 100 yards for target and potential hunting reasons.

I bought the Weaver Extended Multi Slot 20 MOA mount and Weaver 30mm Tactical Rings that are LOW (1/4" I believe). When I was doing research I saw I believe the same set up and it seemed to fit good, but I don't know if that would go down to 100 yards. Do I need 20 MOA for 1000 yards with a 7mm and that scope? The scope is a mil-dot so I can always use those as my zero if NEED BE but I would rather it center for my zero.

I emailed Vortex and they said Medium rings would work good but that was with a 0 MOA so I am wondering if that 20 MOA counter acts the Med Rings.

Also I am going to have the Caps on the scope so I would need enough clearance for those to slide on.

If anyone could help with those few questions that would be good.

Thanks, and I thanks for having me on here.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:45 PM

Re: Savage Long Range Hunter Scope/Mounting

I noticed I probably posted this in the wrong area. Please move if need be. Sorry.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Silver Member

I have a 7RM and the same scope. If you handload and can get your FPS up above what normal factory ammo produces and shoot a bullet with a decent BC you will be ok at 1,000 yards, IMO. I had a 0 moa rail originally but it topped out at about 850 yards with the 162 AMAX and 775 with the 162 SST.

A 200 yard zero works good for the occasional 100 yard shot and makes it a little easier to get out to 1,000.

You can get a 10 or 15 moa rail if that works better for your setup.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:41 PM
Silver Member

I had that scope on a savage .260 with medium rings and a 0 moa base. The base didn't align perfectly and I had to use a lot of windage adjustment to get it zeroed. I didn't know it but that also uses up your elevation. I could only reach 800 yards. It may reach 1000 for you, I would guess you would be close with the 20 moa base. You would have to try it to know for sure.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:10 PM

Desertbull,
Can you zero at 100 yards if you wanted to? what MOA is your mount? what rings?

I spur of the moment bought some 2 piece mounts and rings at Bass Pro last week with some help from a sales member and I ended up with rings that stick out over the mount, which I don't know if that normal or not but it doesn't seem to be. Also the rings are extra high, which seem to be HUGE, and way more than I need. It sucks because that Bass Pro is the closest one to me and a good 1 1/2 hrs away.

So I hoped online and did more research and I saw a 50mm Vortex scope on a rifle (same model, different cal) with a 20 MAO rail and the fitting looked perfect. So I ordered them online and do not have them yet, should be next week when I get them.

I know the 20 MOA is not needed for this, but I, for now, am more worried about the 100-700 yards than the 1000 yards. My main concern is that 20 MOA won't let me go down to 100. But I guess unless someone has the exact set up I got to just wait until I can try for myself.

I hope they do work well because I am eager to take my new rifle out!