Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Savage LA Centerfeed stock options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2010, 09:25 PM
Bronze Member

Savage LA Centerfeed stock options

OK I building my first rifle and need some help.

What I have is a Savage LA centerfeed for a donor action. I have ordered my drop in barrel, it will be a 26" SS Brux in 7WSM.

My question is what are some of the aftermarket stock options for this build?

I am leaning toward a Duramaxx, I know that it will not drop in but I think others have made these work. If anyone has done this feel please let me know how difficult it was.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 11-13-2010, 09:50 PM
Silver Member

Re: Savage LA Centerfeed stock options

It was easy, I did it on a laminated stock, and am going to get a duramaxx for the one I'm working on now. It was a little tricky to remove the magazine out of the old stock, but I found some instructions on line. I had to do a little inletting around the rear action screw for the L shaped bracket on the back of the magazine. Then you can build some type of spacer in the front of the magazine to fill the gap. I did this out of wood, but I think this time I will use bedding material to fill the gap. Basic tools and know how should be all you need.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks Goose -

I am surprised that there are not more options out there.

I think there is some demand for these new Savage LA centerfeed products.

Ryan
Old 11-16-2010, 10:05 PM
Silver Member

Ryan

I have a long action single shot and i put it in a choate tactical adl stock. I only had to widdle a little bit but that was because i had a differant trigger. Part of the trigger was hitting.

It shot good but i recently just bedded it and groups shrunk by at least half with same load. I got mine from Tactical Works. They only cost $220. Comes with trigger gaurd,action screws and bipod adapter. It has the aluminum bedding block.

It is a very good stock for the money. After bedding it i see no reason to spend hundreds more on a Mcmillan. Is it the same leaque? NO but for the money it is superb.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Silver Member

Since the bolt spacing is the same on the staggered feed and center feed long action stocks, I don't know if companies will be in a big hurry to produce a completely new stock.

I've modified a few different stocks to take the new center feed mag box, and it's pretty easy. I don't use the L bracket that the factory uses. I use some sort of bedding material (like plumbers putty) to hold the mag box in the stock while I get it positioned where I want it. Then I'll fill in the gaps with either foam or bedding material depending on the weight of the stock.

Andrew
Old 12-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Silver Member

Boyds makes a drop in laminate, I have one that I inlet for a DBM as well and it works well as long as you don't go above about a #5 contour Brux, and thats tight.

Stockade will make you one in numerous designs.

Manners and McMillan both inlet for the LA centerfeed as well, I am putting a McMillan Hunter's Edge on a lightweight rifle build I have in progress now.