Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Savage Axis for long range gophers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 10:20 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Savage Axis for long range gophers?

Thats great to hear, and it's nice to know your don't have to have a 3-4000 rig to shoot out to 1000yds. For me, 400 to 600 yards is about the max I'd be shooting where I live so I'm not to concerned with really maxing it out. I know with the right handloads just about any rifle can be a shooter its just how it holds up past 100yds. What all did you do to the stock? I figured the first thing that would need to be done is some work on the trigger and a bedding job?
Old 11-17-2012, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Rob View Post
Im hitting gopher sized targets at plus 400 with mine, i have lightenend the trigger made the stock solid added a 20moa rail and developed my own loads, my 10-40x50 scope has just arrivedso its going on in the next week, then 1000y here we come.

Im trying to prove to myself that it can be done, and so far it has.

Rob
Preaty much what I had in mind when putting the 6.5-284 on the Axis....Unfortunatly its been an uphill battle so far!
Old 11-18-2012, 04:06 AM
Bronze Member

Yes it has been an uphill battle because everyone tells me to stop wasting my time and buy a real rifle and then hands me a rem 700 instead of the part i asked for.

What i did to the stock was,
looking down from the top of the stock with the action/barrel removed there are "criss crossing" supports but since they are just soft plastic they dont work.

So i cut slots in them from front to back down about 2/3's, then at the same level i drilled 2 small holes back into the tongue block, below the receiver. Then i slotted in 2 steel rods into the holes and along the cut out slots and filled the whole thing with fiberglass mat and resin until the barrel will just still float.

The trigger i had done by a gunsmith ant he wouldnt bed it because he said the plastic fit was about as good as it gets.

Hope this helped as i forgot to take photos

Rob
Old 11-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Bronze Member

Thats an interesting method I've never heard of but guessing it just acts like a bedding block? I might have to try it on one of my other guns that sounds like the stock is situated the same way. Did you see much of an increase in accuracy from just the bedding before the trigger job? Or did you just do both at the same time.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

Have considered chopping the stock like I did to the last Stevens I built but leaving it a tad longer so the bipod doesnt get in the way as bad.

Then to help keep the weight down just use a couple of short arrow shafts and Great Stuff to fill the voids. Then just skim bed the whole works and glue the trigger assembly of the stock to the stock, dont plan on makeing it into a short action anyway!
The trigger has got to be the worse POS I've ever worked on but putting in a replacement totaly defeats the perpose of a cheap gun so I'll have to work on it a little more to get it down to 2 1/2 -3 lbs or so, right now I can see the x hairs move as I put a death grip on the trigger to get the damn thing to fire. Lightening the spring helped a little but not enough.
The clips are spendy POS that are definatly not tuff enough as is to be reliable so that is going to take a little work to fix. The broken ejecter was self indused trying to find a max load of Data 85 powder, Data 85 works ok but is way too temp sensitive to use in the heat of the summer!
Like I said its an uphill battle as the Axis is what it is and trying to make it something it aint can be a little agrivating at times=Its been given a time-out in the safe till I get bored enough to get back to it, timel tell
Old 11-18-2012, 09:55 PM
Bronze Member

HI,

I did the trigger myself first but only got to about 4lb and introduced some pre creep but it was way more accurate so i filled the stock and it made some difference , mostly when off hand shooting using the sling to pull the gun tight as i suppose it pulled the stock onto the barrel, but after i had the trigger done by a pro i went from .85moa to .55 so both things wirth doing in my books
Old 11-18-2012, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Done cheap vrs done profesionaly? Pride of doing it yourself vrs the aggrivation from doing it youself? Just seams wrong to me to have a smith touch a Savage but that dont make me right!
If you dont mind me asking what did the smith charge ya for the trigger job?