Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Savage Axis for long range gophers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Bronze Member

Savage Axis for long range gophers?

Had a crazy thought come to mind the other day, would the new savage axis make a good starting point for a low buget build? Can you still swap barrels like you can the other models. Anyone whose had the same thoughts or even done it already input is deffinately appreciated. For what its worth it would be .243 since ive got tons of experience and loads waiting for a new gun to toy around with.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Gold Member

My opinion...no. Start with a 10/110 style Savage action(Stevens 200 is the same). More available parts, less cheap crap, you can buy them used for ~$200 or new for only a few dollars more than the Axis. You can swap barrels on the Axis if you so choose though.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage Axis for long range gophers?

Crazy thought is about right. The Axis is what it is= a cheap entry type rifle that dont shoot too bad BUT its a poor choice to build off of unless you are able to inlet stocks yourself and like to do a lot of tinkering.
The barrel can be changed just like any other savage and the trigger can be worked to useable hunting trigger but I just dont see it being a long range gopher-getter....Short range walk-about unit yes but you would be $$ and time ahead starting with something that has more parts available like the 10/110. Heck even a Steven aint that cheap by the time you replace the trigger and stock!
I bought an Axis 25-06 with the thought of it being a good truck gun.....It might get there but not in its stock form, its just not tuff enough.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:45 PM
Bronze Member

You guys brought up a few of my fears that kept me from diving right into it. Figured since it was still somewhat new there would'nt be many parts for it and that there were better options out there.

Guess I'll just have to use that new model 10 308 thats sitting in the closet instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachV View Post
Crazy thought is about right. The Axis is what it is= a cheap entry type rifle that dont shoot too bad BUT its a poor choice to build off of unless you are able to inlet stocks yourself and like to do a lot of tinkering.
The barrel can be changed just like any other savage and the trigger can be worked to useable hunting trigger but I just dont see it being a long range gopher-getter....Short range walk-about unit yes but you would be $$ and time ahead starting with something that has more parts available like the 10/110. Heck even a Steven aint that cheap by the time you replace the trigger and stock!
I bought an Axis 25-06 with the thought of it being a good truck gun.....It might get there but not in its stock form, its just not tuff enough.
Just out of curiousity, what kind of groups you getting from the 25-06? Factory or handloads?
Old 11-17-2012, 04:22 PM
Platinum Member

The 25-06 Axis barrel shot well for a sporter weight factory barrel=Nuthing shot more than 2MOA.
This was one unit I bought quite a few boxes of factory ammo for, keep in mind this was intended to be a hunting rifle so the selection also was geared tward elk.
Winchester 115 Ballistic silver tips= Just under MOA
Winchester 120 Positive expanding point=Just over MOA
Federal Nosler 115 grain Partitions=Shot 3/4 MOA
Hornady 117 SST=this was the 2 MOA load
Hornady 117 BTSP=MOA +/-
Reloading had about the same results with 100-120 grain bullets MOA +/- a little. What this barrel really liked was the 75 grain Vmax! With a few different powders it was 1/2 MOA and fast!
I had a Shaw sporter barrel laying here so the 25-06 barrel was swapped out for the 6.5-284 Shaw barrel. Have tryed to get it to shoot 140 Partitions(my favorite bullet),140 grain Amaxes(got a lot of them) and 95 grin Vmaxes with a few powders with mixed results so far but here again the lighter 95 grainers seam to be showing the most promise? The loads have stayed right around MOA with limited testing.....Till I fix the clip and ejecter, at this point its been put on the back burner.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:09 PM
Bronze Member

It's funny you mention it liking the lighter bullets because when I was first testing ammo in my savage 308 it seemed to like everthing on the lighter side. 150 and 165s shot good but anything over 175 seemed to jump to a inch n a half or worse. Guess it must just be a savage thing.

Not bad groups though for a cheap rifle and its always nice to have an extra barrel to have some fun with too!
Old 11-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Bronze Member

Im hitting gopher sized targets at plus 400 with mine, i have lightenend the trigger made the stock solid added a 20moa rail and developed my own loads, my 10-40x50 scope has just arrivedso its going on in the next week, then 1000y here we come.

Im trying to prove to myself that it can be done, and so far it has.

Rob