Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Savage in 338 Lapua

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2004, 09:48 PM
Gold Member

Savage in 338 Lapua

I know that it has been done and the people are asking about remmys and others but what about this one?

Which action would you start with?
Old 01-16-2004, 05:47 AM
Gold Member

Re: Savage in 338 Lapua

Between the two I would start with a Remington.
Reasons why:
1. Savages are cast.
2. They have way to many parts. I try to follow the Keep It Simple, Stupid.
3. Remmy has a lot more aftermarket parts.
4. Remmies are easier to true up.
These a a few reasons, another one is resale value. Remmy has it, Savage don't.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Tex,
Chris makes valid points, I've never heard Savages are cast though.

I've heard modifying the extractor for the bigger case is more difficult, although I'm not sure why at this point.

Savage now has a better trigger, that's a plus.

No need for a gunsmith to headspace it, that's a plus.

It's likely the Savage will out shoot the others right from the factory.

It has a floating bolthead, that's a plus in my book.

Extractor blow back out the bolt raceway if it ever failed.

Choices... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-16-2004, 06:57 PM
Gold Member

Brent,
Yes Savages are cast.
Trigger still has to many parts.
Somebody still has to headspace it, and unless you have the proper tools and gauges, have a smith do it. Most people get rid of the nut when they rebarrel anyway.
Don't know how you will feed it in a Savage. I imagine Sierra's is a single shot.
The extractor would be a pain to modify.
Ain't gonna get a Savage from the factory in 338 Lapua.
Just a few more thoughts...
Old 01-16-2004, 07:19 PM
Gold Member

It would be nice if the factory did it.

Brent, I didn't know that it was cast either [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-16-2004, 11:47 PM

I'm interested, what part of a Savage receiver is cast? I have 5 receivers that I mix and match barrels and they don't look cast in the least, besides cast receivers are just as strong or stronger than tubular steel receivers, reference Ruger's. I modified the mags on my Savage LA's to take a 3.8" COL. Takes a little work but once done, it's done for good. Savage could do it but then they would have to charge more money, now wouldn't they.

I swapped in Timney triggers on all but the last Savage, set them at 2 lbs and called it good. The last Savage I bought had the Accu-trigger, which is about the best factory grabber that come down the pike in a long time. I unscrewed it as far as it would go and it breaks right at 1.5 lb on my trigger scale. No whine here. It's a hell of a lot safer than a Remington trigger, ANYDAY, and yes I've had original Remington POS triggers go off when the safety was flipped off, that's why all my Rem's have after market triggers.

You can use the nut or not, but the nut makes barrel swapping, headspacing and manufacturing a lot easier and you don't have to have a 'smith do the work. As far as most of the other "arguments" they can all be delt with simply and easily. I don't know of many that are throwing away their nuts.

I really don't see what all the fuss is over the nut anyhow, I want a rifle that shoots, it don't have to be "pretty". I don't take a rifle out to kiss and if it is pretty and don't shoot, it don't go either. Mostly, I think the noise is just beer talk or read and repeat the echo.

I have a number of other rifles on Rem 700 and Ruger 77 actions. They all shoot once you sort out the problems and they all have had at least one swap in barrel. Once headspaced and witness marked it's nothing more than unscrewing and rescrewing on the second barrel and torquing to around 100 ft/lbs. So simple and easy even I can do it.

If you want to shot a 4 incher then get a CZ 5550 or a Weatherby or falling block then you can make it as long as you want, or just single load and not worry about it.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:48 AM
Platinum Member

Chris, you are the first person that I've ever heard state they are cast, and I would have thought with all the Savage bitchers I'd of heard this one at least a zillion times too, God knows it's all you ever hear about a Ruger.
I'm not sayin you're wrong, just that it's the first time I've heard it, and it's odd it's not mentioned every day.

I'm shocked that you'd suggest someone take it to a smith just to headspace one??? I know you prefer the Rem, but this "is" the advantage to a Savage.

The Savage does not need special guages to headspace unlike the others. Headspace it off a cartridge and tighten the nut, that simple. That's the reason I'd keep the nut "intact" myself. I can buy a threaded and chambered barrel from anyone and install it myself, no lathe and guages required, and I can go shoot in minutes.

I admit, I'm more of a practical person, although I do like a nice lookin rifle, accuracy first though. If Savage had a seious drawback to the barrel nut deal, I wouldn't use it either, I don't think they do tho...

Never having paid a whole lot of attention to the Savage extractor of mine, I pulled it apart to see what needs to be done to open it up. It would take me about 30 minutes to do a great job modifying a Savage extractor for the Lapua case, simple as that. I think Sierra could have done it themselves.

For about $15 in parts, I could modify a Magnum bolthead and extractor, sell it for $50 and make a good profit. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I could modify a $2.87 extractor and sell it for $30 too. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Let your smith open your bolt face and slide it in.

Shouldn't be a problen getting it to feed the Lapua, if you wanted it to.