Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Savage .308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 06:03 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Savage .308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahep77 View Post
I do not reload. I've spent some time reading threads and everyone here seems rather informative. I chose the .308 for the specific reason of availability. In a pinch I can fire russian surplus. I don't intend to use that if I don't have to though. I want to reach maximum effective distance with the .308 round. As I said I want a rifle that will always shoot better than me. I guess my real question is what kind of distances and grouping are people getting out of the .308 and really everyone's thoughts on the savage actions. Here is what I know. The Axis is a base model and an ambitious shooter can out grow it quickly. Then there is the 11/111? I think which is mid grade (still very well performing) not the top of the line. Then we have the 10 police model with a bull barrel. To my understanding it takes a while to master this firearm.
Do you have a friend that reloads? If so you should talk to him about it. I use my friend's reloading equpment and they also give me advice. It has really tightened my groups, which is crucial for long distance.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:33 PM

Re: Savage .308

I have a savage mod 11, (2010) Sad to say it hates factory ammo, 150-180 gn didnt work well, Being stuborn and a reloader, after MUCH experimenting I found a load it will shoot well, 168 hpbt sierra match king,s Book recommends OAL at 2.810, (crappy group) 2.880 shoots well,, .070 longer than spec,s almost max load of varget, I would have liked a gun that off the shelf ammo shot well in, the savage doesnt, seems the lands are to far into the barrel for factory ammo, would I buy another savage,,, NO !

I like a single stage trigger and reworked this one to my liking, Not somethiing i would reccomend to anyone else,,,,, I grind and polish for living.