Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

sako 75 question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2005, 09:53 PM
Silver Member

sako 75 question

I have a new Sako 75 III in Stainless Synthetic and would like to remove the stock without any damage. I removed the two screws in the bottom that screw into the action and tried to remove the barreled action but it still seems to be in there pretty tight. Is there more to remove than the two screws that I mentioned above?? Also if anyone has knowledge on how to correctly put it back together as far as screw torque and which one to tighten first...etc. Thanks
Old 02-07-2005, 03:31 AM
Gold Member

Re: sako 75 question

[ QUOTE ]
I have a new Sako 75 III in Stainless Synthetic and would like to remove the stock without any damage. I removed the two screws in the bottom that screw into the action and tried to remove the barreled action but it still seems to be in there pretty tight. Is there more to remove than the two screws that I mentioned above?? Also if anyone has knowledge on how to correctly put it back together as far as screw torque and which one to tighten first...etc. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you remove the detachable mag first?(Really don't need to do it, but it's easier)
It's a little tight, especially on new rifles, but once you have the two screws out, she should pop right out.

I'll let a more competent person describe the correct reassembly proceedure...sakofan.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2005, 05:02 AM
Silver Member

Thanks Sakofan! Yes I did have the mag out at the time. I guess I need to give it a couple of harder strikes with the palm of my hand on the under side of the barrel just above the forearm of the stock. I just didn't want to start in on it only to find out that: Oh, this needs to be removed first. I've done that before on other things and don't want to add this to the list. Thanks and if anyone has any tricks that would help with the Synthetic stock being removed and also is this a pretty good stock? Are there any drop in after market stocks that would be an improvement worth buying?? Thanks again
Old 02-07-2005, 11:22 AM
Silver Member

Fourinone...there are only the 2 action screws to contend with...I know the feeling the first time I removed this same stock...it will remove ok with a little effort... this stock is my favorite for an injection molded stock, but mine had a hairline crack completely through the recoil lug area... someone mentioned on this forum he was told they all have this crack but it's no big deal... I really don't know... but just be sure to take a good look around inside once the stock is removed... you would be well served by upgrading to a McMillan is that's within your means... good shooting...
Old 02-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Gold Member

I have looked at a couple differant stocks for my Sako, and I agree with Larry O.
McMillan stocks are the heat!! They offer, or did offer a couple of years ago, some pretty cool replacements for your M75.

Congrats on a great rifle!!! Lucky you!!....sakofan....out!
Old 02-08-2005, 05:05 AM
Silver Member

Thanks again for all your input. I did get it off, just wanted to be sure before I started striking harder on it. I did not see any cracks in the recoil lug area. I did notice that the material was a different color than the rest of the stock. Maybe they machined that area away in order to fill it in with some sort of bedding compound?? It's black in color where as the rest of it is a grey shade of green or green shade of grey, something like that. I do think this to be a better synthetic stock compared to all of the others I've seen. I'll try it out first...plus I'll have to start my piggy bank over now that it's empty from this gun/scope combo. I like the McMillan stocks but can't just now go and buy one. I have one on a 40X rimfire and don't regret it at all....lot cheaper eleven years & and two children ago.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:02 AM
Silver Member

Fourinone... the different color material you mention could be the "fix" needed for that particular stock... sounds like you should be just fine... good shooting...