Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Rookie looking for advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 01:24 PM

Re: Rookie looking for advice

Sorry for taking so long to answer your questions. I have tried a couple different times to do so, but apparently I take to long and get kicked out of the system or something because each time I hit submit reply, my post doesn't show up. So I will answer each person in a seperate post. Hopefully it works.

So in reverse order;

Feenix, I would like to push it out to 800 - 900 yards possibly.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

a 300 is a very good long range cartridge. a rem 700 is a good action. you don't say what scope you don't say if you load your own ammo. you can get a good stock from stockysgunstocks.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
a 300 is a very good long range cartridge. a rem 700 is a good action. you don't say what scope you don't say if you load your own ammo. you can get a good stock from stockysgunstocks.
+1. Too many other unknowns and hate to assume anything.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:27 AM

Thanks for all the advice. To answer a few more of the questions;

Winmag, its been a while since I have shot the gun, but from what I can recall, seems like it shots 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" groups with factory ammo.

Royinidaho, I agree that based on my budget, I will have to upgrade a piece at a time. It seems that with the couple of gunsmiths that I have checked with locally though, offer a accurizing package that includes all the modifications that have been mentioned with the exception of the stock, as on overall package and that may be out of the budget right now.
Also, I liek the possibility of doing it myself, could you maybe go into more detail as to how to go about it.

Thanks again for the advice.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:38 AM

Roninflag, currently I don't load my own ammo, trying to take it a step at a time.
The current scope on the gun is a Leupold 3-9x. Pretty basic setup overall. I am looking at upgrading it also. Any suggestions on a scope would be appreciated, too.

Thanks again.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:12 PM
Bronze Member

Rookie 25, I was and still am to a point where you are right now. I have a 300 RUM that shot factory ammo about like yours does. After getting several great replies to my very first post I have had the trigger adjusted to 3 lbs, put an HS Precision Stock on it, and started reloading. My groups have shrunk and I am getting close to being happy. When and if you start to reload, you will find out that it is true that you don't save money because you shoot so much more!
Old 12-07-2011, 11:22 PM
Silver Member

I just recieved my HS stock for my 700 in 7mm STW. Finally replaced the original tupperware stock. The HS is very high quality and the rifle bolted right in without any modifications. I am using 3.5 X 10 x 40 with a BDC reticle and have no problems shooting at small targets out to 600. Farthest elk so far is 310 with it.