Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Rookie looking for advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 07:19 PM

Rookie looking for advice

I would like to get into long range shooting and was looking for some advice on the best way to go about it. I have a Remington 700 in 300 win mag that I would possible like to turn into a longer range gun. It is basically a stock Rem 700 that I won several years ago. I have hunted with it a few times but just don't love the feel of the gun. I have read that a Rem 700 can be modified fairly easily as compared to other makes and I guess my question is, for a first long range gun, am I better off modifying (changing the stock, accurizing it, maybe rebarreling) my current gun? Or, starting from scratch? When I say modify, I mean having a gunsmith do the work. And when I say better off, I guess I am asking both price wise and quality of gun wise. I know prices vary from gunsmith to gunsmith, but typically speaking.

Sorry for the long winded questions, and thanks in advance.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Gold Member

Re: Rookie looking for advice

Lots of ways to go about it, I'll tell you what I did. I also had a stock 700 LSS in 300 WM. I sent it off and had it restocked in a McMillan Edge sporter stock (this choice was to maintain a lightweight pack rifle), glass and pillar bedded, muzzle recrowned, bolt lugs lapped, & trigger tuned. Basically just an accurizing along with the new stock. When it came back, I was amazed what the gun would do. Had a lot of fun stretching it out past 1,000 and shot it a lot. So much so that the barrel was toast within a year and a half. I just now had it rebarreled in the same caliber. Aboslutely no regrets with this. When the barrel started to go I picked up a good 308 to do most of my long range practice with so I wouldn't ware out the new barrel on the 300 so quickly.

Here is a link to just one of the many sponsoring gunsmiths so you can see what their accurizing packages consist of. The prices aren't too bad either.

Montour County Rifles
Old 04-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

I highly recommend upgrading what you have piece at a time doing as much of the work as you can yourself.

If it were me I'd start with the stock. And by 'the stock' I mean that stock. With Bondo, JB Weld and tons of other stuff you can change the feel to whatever you like.

Its more fun and mess than a barrel of monkeys but worth it.

Then comes the bedding which is easily DIY. A little frightening but rewarding.

While all of this is going on you'll be leaning about optics and LR shooting. Then by the time you get the 300 Winny barrel shot out you'll have a pretty focused idea of what you really want. Then truing the action and fitting that dream barrel will be a smaller next step.

Give it a go.....
Old 04-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Platinum Member

Youve got great advise so far, but I have a question for you. What size groups will it consistantly shoot at 100 yds? part B to this question, do you hand load? and Im on a roll so Ill ask another how far have you practiced with your current set up?

Reason Im curious is this. If itll hold say 1''- 1 1/4'' groups with factory ammo at 100, and you start handloading(Im assuming you dont yet?) youll most likely shrink your groups. Hand loading will tell you alot more about your rifle than you ever wanted to know, but need to know. Put that togather with a good triger, and a decent stock, or like Roy said fix/modify yours, and you may have a shooter that does quite well. Well enough to get you by untill you want to re barrel it anyway.
Either way youll want to be handloading for a L/R rifle anyway, so why not start there and see what she'll do?
Just my 2cents. Good luck

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 04-06-2010, 04:37 AM
Platinum Member

+1 with winmag. How does it currently shoot?
Old 04-09-2010, 07:14 AM
Platinum Member

I'm in agreement with all that has been said. By changing stocks you should see a decrease in recoil depending on what model you buy. I know the Choate Super Sniper decreases recoil considerably from stock rifle stocks. properly fitted stocks can do wonders for accuracy and recoil. Get the action trued and have the barrel properly fitted to the trued action. Have the smith check the muzzle crown and see if any changes need to be made. The factory trigger can be tuned nicely, but if you want go ahead and get an after market trigger.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 04-11-2010, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

What are you considering long range? How much longer are you trying to stretch it?

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.