Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Right path

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 08:01 PM

Right path

I currently shoot a 7mm rem mag 140gr. Barnes triple shock. My groups are about 3/4 in. at 100yds. , 300yds. is about my max. comfortable range. I would like to be able to go out to 500yds. I'am thinking about going to a 168gr. hsm hunting round , sending my leupold 3x10x50 back to leupold and having the CDS system installed. Am I going down the Right Path or is this a total waste of time? Obviosly I'am new to trying to shoot at a longer range any knowledgeable help would be appreciated.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Gold Member

Re: Right path

Dooksux, Are you handloading or shooting factory ammo? If handloading, look at sierra match kings, or Berger bullets. I don't shoot a 7mm so I am not sure what bullets are avilable from those guys for a 7mm, but go with the heavier bullet available.

In my opinion 10X is pretty minimum magnification for 500 yards. I would suggest you trade up to something with higher magnification.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:53 AM
Platinum Member

You will want to do some homework before sending your scope in.

You will want to pick a load that shoots good at 300-500 yds. Then you will need to figure out how much drop you have at the distances of 200, 300, 400, 500 ect. Figure out how many clicks your scope takes to adjust point of aim to those drops (not all scopes move the poi the advertised amount). Record the temp and altitude and Barometer on the days that you do this, because the drop will vary a little if you change altitude by alot or if the temp changes alot.

Another option is to have them do a custom drop reticle. This eliminates the click value out of the process. Either way, you'll want to decide on the load/bullet/velocity and actually shoot it out to 500 or whatever distance you think will be max BEFORE you send it in.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:06 AM
Platinum Member

Give the HSM stuff a try, a co workers 7mm Sendero stacks them up at 600 yrds, he hasn't taken it out any farther. Defiantly lock it down before sending in the scope!
Your 140's should make it to 500yrds, I don't shoot 7mm's but the 270's have no problem with 140's at that range so I would think you could get it out there.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-10-2011, 09:24 AM
Platinum Member

i am older. i like a little higher power scope. i like leup. i like the 7mm mag. 99 % of long range shooters reload.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:47 AM

I shoot factory loads,( federal premium), I thought HSM might be the best factory load I could buy. I'am sure my optics are'nt quite strong enough plus I have a heavy reticle not good for longer shots, but works well after sunset. Thank Y'all for helping out on this.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:40 AM
Bronze Member

What you're shooting with is perfectly capable of accurate shooting out to 500. All the guys above gave you good advice. The only concern (if a legitimate concern at all) is shooting factory and hunting loads. Match grade ammo or your own reloaded ammo would be a great benefit. Your heavy reticle shouldn't pose a problem at 500.

Good luck.