Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Which rifle to use for first long range set up.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 04:00 PM
Bronze Member

Which rifle to use for first long range set up.

This is my first post on this website. I'm a high school senior in Texas. I have been hunting all my life, and am wanting to get into truly long range shooting. I've used the equipment i have to take game out to 430ish yards, and targets to 600. My main rifle is a Winchester model 70 .270 made in 1965. Its in a Hogue overmold stock with the aluminum block. My question is, should i use this rifle, or a Savage model 10 factory rifle in .270 as a starting point for a long range rifle? The m70 shoots sub MOA easily, and I havent tried grouping the savage. The savage also has a much thinner barrel than the winchester. Are either of these suitable for LR use?
Old 01-27-2014, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Which rifle to use for first long range set up.

Coleman- welcome. the closer the completed rifle is to what they shoot in F-class or in the military ...... m24/40 ( both weigh 18 pounds or so). the more capable it will be. the remington sendero and the wincester laredo weigh less and are pretty good as they come from the factory.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:21 PM
Gold Member

Sounds like the Mod 70 shoots pretty well!

IMO -in the long run you will need a caliber whose bullets have a higher BC once you start stretching it out past 600 yards. It will just drop less and buck the wind better.
The great think about the Savage is it is easy and inexpensive to change barrels. I would save the Savage until you were ready for a dedicated long range rifle, then build the Savage with a custom heavy barrel and a good stock. Get something like a 6.5x284 or a 300 Win Mag if you are going to hunt with it.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:35 PM
Bronze Member

The Model 70 without bipod is almost 10 pounds unloaded. And with a suitable longrange optic would probably be a little over 10 pounds. But this is with the factory barrel which is actually pretty heavy compared to my other rifles. But it is only 22 inches.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:38 PM
Bronze Member

I also dont have access to reloading equipment at this time. Therefore most desirable longrange rounds are out. This is basically going to be a starting point for an ongoing project for many years.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:13 PM
Silver Member

So are you wanting a different rifle and caliber all together or just choose between the two you have? If you were to choose between the two you have then id go with the one your most comfortable with. If your looking into a different long range gun and caliber then id suggest a caliber with a high B.C such as a 6.5 round.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:39 PM
Silver Member

How bad could a m70 be in 1965? Sorry but I have never had, seen or owned a winchester model 70 that I'd trade for a Savage. If it aint broke don't fix it.