Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Rifle + scope for 1K, is it possible?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 01:12 PM
Silver Member

Re: Rifle + scope for 1K, is it possible?

the savage has everything you could ask for to upgrade it, there are several good stocks you can get for them, a couple very good triggers you can drop in, and many prefit match grade rifle barrels that you can install yourself with some special tools and a headspace gauge.
Alternatively you can take it to a gunsmith andhave them chamber and install any barrel you want with the factory barrel nut applicaton or just have the barrel shouldered and headspaced like a rem 700
Old 03-22-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrueger View Post
the savage has everything you could ask for to upgrade it, there are several good stocks you can get for them, a couple very good triggers you can drop in, and many prefit match grade rifle barrels that you can install yourself with some special tools and a headspace gauge.
Alternatively you can take it to a gunsmith andhave them chamber and install any barrel you want with the factory barrel nut applicaton or just have the barrel shouldered and headspaced like a rem 700
what match grade rifle barrels do you recommend? what would be a good recommendation on the twist ratio? and if I get a .243 what ammo is recommended based on the twist of the barrel

thanks in advance
Old 03-22-2013, 02:26 PM

So looking at the Savage website which particular rifle model am I looking for ?
Old 03-22-2013, 04:17 PM
Silver Member

I dont own a 6mm myself so somebody else will need to verify but i think an 8 twist will stabalize all the heavy VLD bullets.

I will only comment on barrels I have experience with,
I have a criterion with only 40 rounds through it, but it looks promising for accuracy.
I have a 260 Lothar Walther that is very very nice, accurate and cleans up easy.
I also have a Mcgowan that is shooting around 2/3 MOA with minimal load development.
Of the 3 i have had the best customer experience with Criterion.

Not sure what you are looking for in a gun, a ready to go out of the box heavy barrel, or a stevens that you are going to build up around?
its easy to search by caliber in the gun finder.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:39 PM
Gold Member

Look for a used model 10 in 308 or 243 Win. Then contact Jim an Northland Shooters Supply Northland Shooters Supply

Jim stocks barrels from Shilen and Criterion, so you don't have to wait 6 months for your barrel. Believe me, that is the "regular" lead time. From either it will be around $300. You want an 8 twist. The Savage barrels are 1:9.25 but that is not good enough to shoot the "real" high BC bullets with adequate stability (the Long 95gr and 105gr VLD's or Sierra Match King bullets). The barrel should also be 26" long to get good velocity for longer range shooting.

Jim also has all the tools to do all your own barrel work. He has the Savage Nut wrench as well as a great receiver wrench. If you use it once it would have paid for itself compared to going to a gunsmith. To set headspace, you need a go gauge for your chamber. Those are $30 at mansonreamers.com.

If you have nothing to reload and want to get started with some decent ammo, you can buy HSM ammo which is loaded with Berger bullets at Midway HSM Trophy Gold Ammo 243 Winchester 95 Grain Berger Hunting VLD Hollow

If you think the price is steep, bear in mind that "regular" factory ammo is just a few $ cheaper but definitely not comparable in ballistics. You can get a reloading setup for about $500, then you have to buy powder, bullets, brass, primers and a set of dies. So its not cheap going in, but once you are set up, you reload for a fraction of the price of factory ammo and remember, this is not chinese or Russian "blasting" ammo. This is stuff that follows the "one shot 1 kill" mentality.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:31 PM

Another problem , I'm right Ed dominate but am a lefty so do I get aright hand or left hand rifle. I've only very limited shooting experience
Old 03-22-2013, 07:13 PM
Gold Member

There are left hand Savages out there. Particularly used, the market for them is smaller, so take a look on Gunbroker.