Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Rifle + scope for 1K, is it possible?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 07:47 AM

Rifle + scope for 1K, is it possible?

Hi all,
Just finished talking to the wife last night and she is setting my limit to a $1000 when it comes to getting a production (rather than a custom) rifle and scope. With this rifle I would only be hunting deer as well as using it for some range time. Once I get more into hunting than we can talk about getting a Kirby Allen master piece

Can you ignore my other thread I started and make recommendations for a good setup with the limited funds. As another member noted that it is best to spend more on the scope than on the rifle so I'm find with that.Just need some major help

thanks in advance
Old 03-21-2013, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Rifle + scope for 1K, is it possible?

KS- No. the answers to all the questions on here are : rem sendero, leup 6.5-20, kenton knobb, a good lazer range finder and some good ammo. do you re load ? are shooting deer in Kansas? start shopping for those things. . i bought a sendero with a scope and mounts for 480.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:25 PM
Silver Member

I will add a heavy barrel savage 10 or 12 to your options, I stand by my recommendation of getting a 308 especially if you are not going to be reloading.

Optics are going to be tricky on that budget, I have used and like the Vortex viper line which are just over $400 unless cameraland is running their deal on v-plex wide reticles again (edit: they are not)
Another oprion is SWFA SS now that they have matched turrets and reticles in mils but the drawback there is you will have a fixed magnification scope.

In either case if you need to strictly stick to that budget your going to be better off looking at the used market.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:51 PM

Which Vortex viper line would you recommend?
also what about the tikka T3 300 WMAG
I little over is not going to hurt when it comes to my budget
Old 03-21-2013, 01:12 PM
Silver Member

Base Viper not the HS or the PST, objective bell is your choice, they come in 44 or 50mm
The PST is a great scope I also have one of those but at $750 it will take most of your budget.
If you reload there is nothing wrong with a 300 WM, factory ammo is another story, Federal gold medal match for 308 is around a buck/round when you can find it in stock, 300WM FGMM is $2.60/round
But again at 500 yards I dont see much gain over a 308.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:32 PM

Ok If I go with the 308 and the Vortex viper PST 2.5-10x44?
how does that sound?
Old 03-21-2013, 05:41 PM
Silver Member

I would buy a stevens 200 in .308 for $300 shoot that for a while, then buy a pre chambered barrel $300 and a SSS trigger $96 And a Boyds or Stocky's $92 stock. Lil bit of bedding on that new stock with the barrel trigger and a good scope like a used VXll or VXlll for under $300 or similar. Would be a good shooter for more or less than $1200+/- . You can do it Just find some one local that can help you put it all together. Plenty of things on youtube about assembly.