Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Rifle build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2005, 10:19 PM
Bronze Member

Rifle build

I just picked up my savage 116fss that will be turned into a long range hunting rifle. I would like to keep it as a 7mm stw. For the barrel I was thinking of a 30" Lilja #7 contour 1-9 twist as I will be shooting only 160 to 180 grain bullets. Stock will probably be a boyds laminated thumbhole(Sound familiar Kirby), and of course have it bedded properly and have the action trued. Please let me know what you guys think. any suggestions would be welcomed. thank you.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:39 PM
Gold Member

Re: Rifle build

just out of curiosity shoot a few groups and give a report before you change the tube???
Old 06-29-2005, 08:23 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Jrdoty,

Yes sounds a bit familiar. Something like this?

Ya know the 7mm STW is a great round no doubt but why not add a bit more Horsepower and cut that sucker for my hot 270 AM? A lazy load will get you 3300 fps with the 169.5 gr ULD RBBTs!!

Only problem is that with the Savage receivers, they are not wide enough in the mag box to allow a 270 AM repeater. Still for extreme range shooting this is not a big deal.

The stock on my rifle is actually a factory Savage Laminate stock which I ordered from MidwayUSA. They have them in stock ready to ship, quicker then boyds and actually very good quality. I would recommend removing the factory pillars in the bedding and have the job redone as the factory Savage pillars do not even contact metal on both ends, at least the ones I have worked on have not. Have these replaced correctly and you will get much better performance!

On the 7mm STW front, you ever consider getting one of the new 1-7 twist that I had Dan tool up for for my 7mm Allen Mag? these will shoot the huge 200 gr ULD RBBTs as well as any lightr bullet such as the Ballistic Tips or Accubonds.

This barrel would destroy a conventional jacketed bullet but I feel for a light bullet option the 160 gr Accubond would be very hard to beat along with the Bonded Core bullets from Wildcat Bullets.

Would give great results with this bullet as well as offer true extreme range performance with the 200 gr ULD RBBT.

Just another option. I like your choosing the #7 contour. This is a great barrel contour for barrel stiffness.

If I may, I would make one other recommendation, whoever you have do your rifle or if your doing your own work, if your going to accurize the receiver which I highly recommend, have the barrel fitted like a Rem 700 to get rid of the barrel lock nut system.

This will solve some bedding issues as well as give the rifle much cleaner lines. IF you do this make sure you order a barrel with a shank diameter of 1.250" and not 1.200 or 1.175".

This is the only way I fit the barrels for my customers for the Savage in high performance, large cased calibers.

IT has worked pretty well with my 270 Allen Mag!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-29-2005, 09:23 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the input Kirby I did want to use the 1-7 barrel but didn't think that it would work for 160 grain bullets. I also like the idea of the factory savage stock. I think I would like to keep the barrel nut system though, since I could change the barrel myself instead of having a smith charge me $175 to do it. What is your guess for b.c. on those wildcat 200 grainers, and do you think Richard would keep these in stock, or would I have to wait a long time in order to get them. Lastly what scope base would you recommend for a non accutrigger long action. Thank you
Old 06-30-2005, 07:55 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Jrdoty,

I see your point with the barrel nut if you plan on removing the barrel yourself. That said, I would love to be able to charge $175 to switch barrels!!!! I need to raise my prices I guess [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!

The 200 gr ULD RBBT will be a standard bullet option for my 7mm Allen Mag and as with the other bullets used in my Allen Mags, Richard has been kind enough to have me stock his bullets for sale. This would mean youcould order directly from me and not deal with the international shipping issues which are not a big deal but we plan to keep these bullets instock at all times.

I have only used the Leupold base for these savages but there are getting to be more and more tactical style bases out there for the Savage rifles.

I use the Burris Signature rings along with these standard bases so I have the potential to use the offset inserts to increase vertical adjustment.

I use the +0.010" insert in the rear of my 270 AM and it easily reaches 1200 yards with the Weaver tactical. Would probably go farther but I have never tried. These are pretty flat shooting rounds though.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-30-2005, 07:38 PM
Silver Member

Kirby, Not trying to high-jack the post, but do you have any of the 7mm/200gn bullets?
Old 06-30-2005, 10:13 PM
Bronze Member

Kirby,
What do you charge to switch barrels, and can you tell me a litle more about the 7mm AM, like what kind of velocity with the 200 grainers out of a 30" barrel, and where to find dies. Thanks