Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Rifle for Africa Plains Game

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 04:41 PM

Rifle for Africa Plains Game

I've been invited by a co-worker to spend a couple of weeks at his home in S. Africa this summer and do a little hunting. I typically hunt with a 7x57 or .308 and was thinking of getting a .300 WM since my friend and the others on the hunt all use one. Thoughts? WM or WSM? Light Mountain Rifle / Featherweight or Medium Weight?
Old 01-05-2013, 06:32 PM
Silver Member

Re: Rifle for Africa Plains Game

I realize that this is a long range hunting forum. Most animals in RSA are shot at less than 350 yards from what I can tell. I've only been there one time and don't profess to know it all. Both of your current rifles will do the job with good bullets and optics out past 600 yards if you do your part. If you want a new rifle then any you listed will do just fine. More a matter of personal preference. Good luck. Bruce
Old 01-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Silver Member

for what you are doing at 350 and less, you cant beat the old 35 Whelen
Old 01-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with gillettehunter, I have been out there many times and the two rifles you listed would be fine, unless Eland is on your list at over 350+ yards. Most animals are taken well within 200 yards.

Now, if you wanted to get another rifle, I would get the same caliber that your friends in SA are shooting. There have been times that I have seen rifles and no bullets arrive, or the other way around, sometimes both are missing. However, if you get one or the other, you can still hunt.

Just my two cents
Old 01-05-2013, 08:07 PM

before you get excited and pack the rifle, check with customs. I know several customers tell you must register firearm with serl # long before a hunt. Make sure you have time. Make sure ammo is in factory box for the head stamp of the chamber. Airline made customer get factory ammo box and not the plastic 20 rd he had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsk View Post
I've been invited by a co-worker to spend a couple of weeks at his home in S. Africa this summer and do a little hunting. I typically hunt with a 7x57 or .308 and was thinking of getting a .300 WM since my friend and the others on the hunt all use one. Thoughts? WM or WSM? Light Mountain Rifle / Featherweight or Medium Weight?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member

inmate is correct! Make sure you have all your paper work completed with Customs and everything is as it's suppose to be. Contact the airlines for instructions as well, as some are different for the transporting of weapons and ammo. Make sure you check with your friends about transporting the weapons to SA also.

Africa is a great place to hunt and once bitten, you're hooked!
Old 01-05-2013, 11:53 PM
Bronze Member

I took a 300 Win Mag (Sako AV) and a 375 H&H (Winchester Model 70 Safari) on my plains game hunt. The 300 was shooting 200g Partitions and I used it on everything from impala to wildebeest to kudu. Average shot was probably 100 yards, longest was 240. Performance was exceptional.

You will do a lot of walking so I would bring a rifle you don't mind carrying around all day.

If you've never shot off of shooting sticks while standing, I strongly recommend you get or make a set and practice. It will make a huge difference.

(I did use the 375 (270g Swift A-Frames) for zebra, gemsbok, eland.)