Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Rifle accurizing....opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 08:42 PM

Rifle accurizing....opinions?

Here's the situation...I have a Remington 700 LSS in a 7mm RUM. I got this thing when I was a kid as a present and I was caught up in the hoopla of "super magnums". Neither my dad nor I knew enough about guns to really make an educated decision.

I'm currently shooting a .270 win, which is fine for where I hunt but I'm getting tired of this 7mm RUM collecting dust, so I'm thinking of trying to squeeze a little more accuracy out of it.

My main question is what is my first step in this process? A lead sled and tuned trigger would help me trim my groups down, but free floating, pillar bedding, and glass bedding all seem to be inevitable in trying to make this rifle as accurate as possible. Just looking for some advice, thanks!
Old 03-03-2012, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Rifle accurizing....opinions?

Well, typically, a trigger pull reduction to 2 pounds or less is a big help IMO. Secondly, and also my opinion, I don't subscribe to bedding factory stocks other than wood as most are referred to as "tupperware." I'd take a wood stock pillar/skim bedded over the plastic stocks but I'm not familiar with what your rifle came with.

Many factory remington bbl will shoot fine, many will not. I'd start with a trigger and bedding job unless you are willing to sink some money into this thing and rebarrel it with a handlapped button or cut barrel and get the action trued. At that point, restocking is just as prudent.

Good luck with whatever route you take.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

I had the same gun in a 300 rum. I blue printed it, bedded it and put a jewel on it and while it did help it still wasnt satisfactory. A new krieger gave it a new life and it shoots great
Old 03-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

Are you reloading and how is the gun set up now?

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 03-03-2012, 11:17 PM

No I am not reloading. I would like to get into it eventually, but I can't justify spending the start up money on it right now. I know it would definitely be cheaper in the long run, but I'm a beginner at this and I'm really wanting to use this rifle as an experience to gain a little knowledge andeventually move on to some more ambitious projects.

As for the rifle, it's sitting in the factory laminated stock now. Honestly, I haven't shot it in 5 or 6 years because the lease I'm at now is pretty much all river bottoms whereas before I was on large clear cuts and long pipelines.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:15 AM
Platinum Member

Start with the basics. You have a good laminate stock. Pillar bed, free float the barrel, tune the trigger. And get a brake on it!

At this point, load development is next. If you're using factory loads, you can try a few.

Frankly, the 270 is a much better round to develop skills with.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member

To me the economical route would be a trigger tune first. If the recoil is unbearable, which I feel it would be for me, a muzzle break would be in order. I don't own any rifles with MB's but if I dread pulling the trigger I'm not concentrating on the target. My 12lb .300WinMag is uncomfortable after 15 rounds.
These first two are designed to let you see what kind of accuracy you can wring from the stock barrel. Not sure if you're defeating the purpose by shooting factory ammo. I have heard that in some instances installing MB's increases accuracy but I'm skeptical.
If after this your returns are promising, then I would bed (pillar&epoxy) and float the barrel. This will in most cases increase accuracy a little but will also provide a more stable platform and let the system "repeat" if you will.
You may never realize the full potential of your rifle with factory fodder, then again you may find something it likes. Could get costly buying different brands, weights, etc. Just save your brass for when you finally decide to cut your losses and start reloading.
Good luck and let us know which route you take. JohnnyK.