Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Reticle help...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 06:22 PM
Silver Member

Reticle help...

I'm in the process of deciding on a new scope for my rifle and was hoping to get a little more light shed on the advantages/disadvantages of the various options out there.
I'll throw some terms out and hopefully someone will come along and enlighten me on what they mean and how they relate to my intended use. I plan to use this scope primarily as a hunter, but will also be practicing with it as well and would like to be able to reach out to around 700yd (long range for me, I'm assuming mid-range for the criteria here?)

With that little bit of information, I'm hoping to learn which option will suit my needs the best. So here's the terms I'm trying to figure out and the pros/cons to hunting that go along with each of them:

First Focal Plane
Second Focal Plane
BDC Reticle - Maybe a little more depth on this subject would be helpful. I own a Nikon with the BDC reticle and understand how it works, but maybe some other company's options would be useful too. Are there some that are better than others?
30mm vs. 1'' Tube

I think I'll let this be my first post and go from here as I get responses.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Gold Member

Re: Reticle help...

This may be the best source for explaining of First vs Second focal plane differences.
It saves a lot of typing time.

Vortex Optics - First vs.Second Focal Plane

This post may help with understanding BDC

Could someone explain bullet drop and BDC reticles to me?

Difference between the 30mm and 1" tube is about .18 inches. OK, sorry for the joke. Just had to include it.

The 30mm scope will give you a greater range of elevation and windage adjustment but they tend to be slightly heavier than the 1 inch scopes.

For hunting, take a look at the Zeiss Conquest with Rapid Zee 1000 reticle. It's very nice.......

American riflemans triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member

Second focal plane
30MM Tube
BDC setup for your gun.
How much money on scope and what type Rifle?
Old 03-08-2014, 11:04 PM
Silver Member

I have a loose maximum budget of $500 for the new scope =) With that said, there's a couple I've got my eye on within this price range but I was hoping to get a better idea of what I need before pulling the trigger on one of them.

The rifle is a 280 Ackley with a 24'' barrel.

I'm looking at these scopes, in no particular order:
Vortex Viper HSLR 4-16x44mm Dead Hold BDC
Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44mm Rapid Z-800
Vortex Viper HSLR 4-16x50mm FFP XLR
Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42mm DOA-600

These are all within/close to my self-imposed max =)
Old 03-09-2014, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member

For a hunting scope:

I personally don't think the BDC systems are worth fooling with. With a second focal plane scope I prefer a good duplex reticle and if the target is at distance dial it no hold over.

I did the home work and read all the bad reviews about a FFP scope and the reticle being to heavy on the high power's and to thin on the lower power's. I made a decision to learn to use a FFP scope and purchased the HSLR 4-16 with the XLR reticle and have used it for a little over a year now. At first the XLR reticle was way too busy but now its kick *****. The reticle on 4 power is quite thin but with low light or in the timber all that needs done is roll it to about 5 power and it's good to go. I shoot out to 800 yards on paper and have no trouble seeing a 4 inch bull and holding center on 16 power.

This is the only scope I am familiar with on your list. I'm building a 300 WM and am planning to use the HSLR FFP XLR 6-24 on it. Good luck with whatever your choice may be. They are all good scopes but I like the HSLR now that I have played with it.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 03-09-2014, 04:29 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
For a hunting scope:

I personally don't think the BDC systems are worth fooling with. With a second focal plane scope I prefer a good duplex reticle and if the target is at distance dial it no hold over.

I did the home work and read all the bad reviews about a FFP scope and the reticle being to heavy on the high power's and to thin on the lower power's. I made a decision to learn to use a FFP scope and purchased the HSLR 4-16 with the XLR reticle and have used it for a little over a year now. At first the XLR reticle was way too busy but now its kick *****. The reticle on 4 power is quite thin but with low light or in the timber all that needs done is roll it to about 5 power and it's good to go. I shoot out to 800 yards on paper and have no trouble seeing a 4 inch bull and holding center on 16 power.

This is the only scope I am familiar with on your list. I'm building a 300 WM and am planning to use the HSLR FFP XLR 6-24 on it. Good luck with whatever your choice may be. They are all good scopes but I like the HSLR now that I have played with it.
Couldn't agree more I run the 4-16x hslr in ffp with the xlr reticle on my 338 lapua and am really pleased with the scope. I really like the capped windage turret for use in a scabbard and the xlr reticle is kick@@@.

I think the 2c reticle design by vortex is one of the best in the game offering it on the pst line of scopes was also a great move by an awesome company.

Reticles are a personal choice and to each his own, but I have found the one for me.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:20 PM
Silver Member

The Vortex options are top of my list but I do wonder whether FFP is worth the extra buy in vs. the BDC option. I may get the BDC for now and if I'm not "in love" could upgrade and sell it off...

How have you guys liked the Viper glass? How's the clarity compare to the other options listed?