Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Are Remy's overrated

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2008, 12:07 PM
Silver Member

Are Remy's overrated

Just wondering if so many guy's build on Remington actions do to popularity and the availability of after market product. From what I read their actions do not seem to be the best for stiffness, or strength. They don't seem to be the best out of the box rifle, and I"ve even heard mumblings about safety issues. If a guy was to blueprint and true almost any other action, screw on a super matchgrade barrel from a reputable manufacturer, get an adjustable stiff stock, and throw in a target trigger, would a remy with the same work out shoot it? I know do to after market, that building a remy may come out cheaper, have all the little extras a guy may want, and take less time to build, but would it be a better rifle?

I am looking to build a long range target rifle that one day may be used for long range hunting. This rifle would be a build over time rig. So I am looking for an out of the box action that would give me the most reliable ACCURATE RIFLE possible. To me that means the stiffest action that I can find a smith for. I am willing to pay extra to have the action worked over and for buying the parts needed to complete the build ie stock, trigger etc. I know this sounds like I should go with a custom action, but that is not what I want. I want the best over the counter action that I can shoot now and I just don't think that is a remy.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Are Remy's overrated

Answer to the question -No -they are not overrated -they are very popular b/c they are very good.They are the 350 chevy engine of the gun world and when tweaked a little they shoot as good as anything factory made .

There are many many good rifles to be had browning -sako -cz -savage the list could go on and on.
Myself i started out w/a rem 700 and now have four that shoot and function great -also have a couple of cz's that are nice.

A rifle action is just a bullet launching device it's not rocket science -if an action is square and has a match grade barrel , chamber ,crown etc. good trigger - good optics it will launch bullets where it's pointed.

So i'd say go out and just pick out what looks good and feels good to -you- ..

Good luck -Mike
Old 09-14-2008, 01:01 PM
Silver Member

I am not saying that remy's are not a good choice. I may be wrong, but I am under the impression that the action is the foundation of accuracy. By that, I mean, the action is what holds it all together and helps control barrel harmonics. You do not want an action that flexes under the weight of a heavy barrel, and it must bed as solid as we can get it. Most all actions can be trued and spared but once the bullet is on the way we do not want that action to move. Yes remington actions have definitely proven themselves, and are the go to action for the custom build. I am just wondering if that has more to do with the after market availability than quality of the action. I guess what I am asking is who makes the stiffest over the counter action that has a magazine cut out.

Last edited by straightshooter; 09-14-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:57 PM
Platinum Member

Precision Shooting did an article on action stiffness and Rem was not near the top. However, they have a lot of aftermarket parts and that makes them workable and desirable from that aspect.

Stiffness is one part of the equation, not the whole thing.

As for buying a Rem and accurizing it, IMO not the most economical way to go to end up with a 50% loss when done. It will cost you twice what it will be worth when done. That fact is proven time and time again.

for no more than $450-500 you can buy an accurized action on one of the boards, here, snipers hide, BR central, Varmint masters etc.

Look at picking up a used BR 1000 yard light gun for $1000-1500 and selling the stock for $350-450 and going from there. Most have been trued, rcvr faced, lugs lapped etc and many have Kiff bolts or sleeved bolts.

Gunsmiths love $300-700 rem action jobs with recutting threads, sleeving bolts, facing rcvr, lugs etc.

You would be smart money wise to buy a custom action that is already to go with longer barrel tenon and such. You will never regret it.

BH
Old 09-14-2008, 05:02 PM
Bronze Member

No there are a million after market addons for Remmies. That makes it much easier to get a custom rifle made with the features you want. From an accuracy stand point, other actions can do just as good as trued Remmies or even custom actions if given the same attention to detail by a good smith. For an action i ask is it solid and does it have the features i want. I feel the barrel, trigger, stock, and optics have more effect on accuracy than the action does. Just mho.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Classifieds - Firearms

Here is a complete BR rifle with trued 700 rcvr for $950

Here is a trued Model 70 with AMU barrel, which is a lot stiffer than the model 700. Price $850
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...gonew=1#UNREAD

Buy a used one if you are not going custom.

BH

Last edited by BountyHunter; 09-14-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:50 PM
Gold Member

Just buy a sps at walmart for $380.00 see how it shoots, throw the stock and barrel away and build off of it. I have built several guns off stock 700 actions(you don't always have to accurize them if an action shoots it shoots).