Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Remy rebarrel options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Bronze Member

Remy rebarrel options

I recently came across a good deal on a Rem 700 adl , 7mm mag. The prevous owner needed some quick cash and I thought I could use the action from the rifle for a rebarreling project since the original installed barrel is pretty beat up and doesn't look like it has every had a bore brush through it.
I like the 7mm mag for a hunting round, so I thought just staying with the same cartridge. I was wondering what would be a good barrel to have installed. I was thinking of going with a heavier contoured barrel and perhaps put a break on it. I would be using this for target shooting and the occasional hunt. Any suggestions?
Old 04-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

There are plenty of good quality barrel makers out there to choose from. Check out this link for more info: Premium Barrels. JohnnyK
Old 04-09-2008, 06:20 AM
Platinum Member

Before you buy a new barrel, spend a lot of time with solvent and a bore brush on the current barrel. Switch between copper and powder solvent several times each session. Probably an hour a day for five days will clean out the barrel. It may be that it will shoot just great once it is clean.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Bronze Member

After looking around this site I think it would a good project for me to do. The stock on this rifle is pretty beat up and I think the lack of care from the original owner has left the factory barrel in sad shape. I appreciate the post of cleaning it, but I'm thinking of trying to rebuild this into something I would be "proud" of.
After reading around this post I think I will just stay with the 7mm mag. I know there are so many others out there, but I like the idea of using a factory round, I reload so I can tweak up some loads in the future for this caliber.
Barrel options..... I like the Sendero contours, I think they are alittle heavier in diameter correct, this may help in making the rifle abit more manageable. I would even consider a muzzle break if anyone could recommend a good one. What other contours would be a good fit to make a good long range rifle? I've never heard of a bull barrel 7mm mag so I don't know if that is an option???
Again thanks for any suggestions you more experienced folks have to offer.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member

One thing to keep in mind is that opening up the BDL or ADL stock to a sendaro contour is going to leave you with very little stock left. I was contemplating the same thing with my BDL 30-06 and decided to hold off for a few years and do it right with a Russo stock eventually. If you want a good target shooting stock, give Joel Russo a hollar (he is on this site).
Old 04-13-2008, 06:56 PM
Silver Member

How much do you want to spend??? If your wanting a cheap gun I would spend some time with the barrel that`s on it now. If your want to keep it cheap but think you have to have a new barrel buy the same conture that on it now and do alittle work on the stock. If your thinking custom get a premium barrel, have a tight necked chamber put in it, have the action trued, get an after market trigger and put it in a piller bedded Mc Millen then glass bed it.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member

ukenout,

When you say you want one to be proud of, do you mean proud of the looks or proud of the ability to and actually making a medium to long range shot?

If looks are what you are after then uncork the piggy bank and have at it. Forget about inexpensive or cheap as one can't be proud of cheap.

If you want to be proud of the first shot LR capability then follow what Buffalobob said. You may just have the ticket already. Of the two, ADL or BDL the ADL is the better choice due to the debatable more solid stock.

Also remember that a light rifle may be shot as accurately as a heavier rifle. It just takes a better driver/pilot.

Bottom line though is go for whatever trips your trigger and have fun.