Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Remington vs Custom/7mm vs. 300/What would you do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Silver Member

Re: Remington vs Custom/7mm vs. 300/What would you do?

Thanks for all of the info...it looks like I'm leaning towards the 300 but I am not sold on it, still need to look at the ballistic charts more, especially with some of the vld and newer bullets out there...will the 300 have a better barrel life than the7mm? Either one I will put a brake on it. I am only in AZ October through March so that is why I haven't shot much at paper and can't until I get home. Its not a lack of wanting to shoot, it is that i cant because of my job. However, I do know that I want a custom and I am trying to get everything lined up so that when I get home the smith can start the work, if not sooner. It looks like I will talk to the guys at Phoenix Custom Rifles but I am still open to any other local smiths. For now I can only do one rifle but down the road I would like to get a .223 or similar to shoot
Old 06-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Gold Member

It seems to me that the 300 winmag is so close to be ready for gameday already that I would not be in any hurry to do much other than change the stock.

Then work up a load and see if you have a solid long range keeper.

If the 7mm is a shooter, then sell it to get a nice foundation for the winmag.

I would pull the PST off of it and sell it separate.

That's the best I can hypothesize on saving you cash. But there is no end to how I can tell you to spend money

Although Ity looks like one of them triangularized barrels which I loath. So a new barrel and blueprinted action would be required in my stable.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaps View Post
Thanks for the link Feenix...after reading the thread on here 7mm vs 300win I think I am leaning towards the 300. Here is a question for all, is there a difference in barrel life between the two? Which is longer?
Handy Excel Formula Predicts Useful Barrel Life « Daily Bulletin

Check out the TC dimensions "D" ...

http://www.tcarms.com/

You might also want to check out the 7MM STW thread ... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...sterner-88228/

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.

Last edited by FEENIX; 06-02-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Platinum Member

Gaps- sell both. get a remington sendero in the caliber of your choice. i have both 7mm and 300. they each have their strengths. but you are spliting hairs. keep the best of the two scopes or get a leupold. only need one good rifle. then start shooting . enjoy.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

one of the best ways to get better at long range is to shoot in the matches they have in phx and mesa. since they don't allow muzzle breaks i shoot a 6.5-284. i would say there is no difference in barrel life from a 7mm or 300. i do not know anyone that shoots those enough to wear a barrel out. 1500 to 2000 rounds for each
Old 06-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Silver Member

@feenix: thanks for the links!

@ aldon: thanks for the info, i am leaning that way with the new barrel that i could put a brake on and also a new stock and maybe trigger along with blueprinted action...

but roninflag has me thinking about the sendero, which i have always liked and though that it felt nice holding it in the store...

if i get the sendero will it still need to be blueprinted? i guess it depends how it shoots out of the box?
Old 06-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Silver Member

I've got to agree with roninflag to a point! Can't really beat a Remington Sendero as far as a out of the box shooter!!!! As far as a custom build, keep the Remington action an start with it! Caliber is a personal choice, but my vote goes to a 7mm mag!(less recoil,great long range!) Ive owned both. Just favor a 7mag more. I am in the progress of building(really my smith is) a 7/300 win mag! Best of both worlds! If you are on a budget a Sendero is the way I would go,but that's just my input! Hope this helps!

DT