Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

REMINGTON VLS.308?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2003, 06:52 PM
Gold Member

REMINGTON VLS.308?

She is a real good shooter and made it known at 100" OK!! this aint nothing! I have sweetened the trigger to a wisper, the barrel is floated from the action out the forarm 1/8 even when it gets warm it is still floating the action is next to be bedded.. What next guys??????
Keith..
Old 01-10-2003, 06:58 PM

Re: REMINGTON VLS.308?

[ 07-11-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]
Old 01-10-2003, 07:29 PM
Gold Member

Good to see I wasn't the only one having a good day!

Went to the range today w/ the 700VS and 50rds of the 175gr SMK / 45.0gr Varget / CCI BR2 / Winchester case load that it used to like so much, to put the Sightron SII6-24x42mm w/ dot reticle thru the wringer. Gun and load actually shot pretty well, though as usual I had much better success w/ the scope on 10x than on 24x. Some of that may be due to the mirage because I probably need to slow down my shooting some, and I start getting some boiling rising off the end of the barrel. Once I got it zeroed, I did the 'box' drill w/ it, shooting two at the center, then went and went up 5 MOA, right 5 MOA, fired one shot, then down 5, fire one, left 5, fired one, etc. for a total of twelve shots, of which shots #1,2,5,9,12 were nestledin the center in a group you could just about cover w/ a nickel! That's the good news. The bad news was that the '5 minutes' ended up moving like 6 inches, both up, down, left and right. Guess the '1/8 MOA' clicks are a little more than that.

As far as you rifle, Keith, I'd say look into a) getting it pillar and glass bedded, and b) a Shilen trigger or something similar (Timney, Rifle Basix). Jewell triggers are very nice, but they are priced to match, and I think they are just a bit much for a gun that gets carried around, shot from a bipod, sling, etc. No need for a trigger that goes down to ounces for that, really. And if you are going to leave it at 2-3#, a Shilen will work just fine, for less than half the cost. Of course, another option is lightening it yourself (sounds like you may have), though results may vary. I have one 700VS that I got the trigger down to 2.25# safely, but my newer one I think I had to stop at 3-3.25# or so. IIRC, Neil Jones (makes some very nice custom dies, etc.) can tune it down to 1.5-2# or so, from what I hear, for about $50 if you send it to him. Probably what I'll end up doing w/ mine this spring.

S1, it is a laminate stock. No integral bedding block.

Monte
Old 01-10-2003, 09:28 PM

[ 07-11-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]
Old 01-10-2003, 10:36 PM
Gold Member

I have not bedded the stock yet, there is no
alumium block and have made no decision on
the recoil lug. I am planing to keep the trigger, I tweeked it and avery one that has shot her says this is perfect.There are a few that I tweeked for my friends and they gave me that job" aint life great?
Thanks to all..Keith.
Old 01-11-2003, 05:04 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Keith,

If you really want to get to the bottom of the rifle's potential, have a new improved firing pin and spring installed, and the biggest bang for the buck, send it in to McMillan and have a McMillan stock made and bedded for your rifle, it costs about 600 bucks bedded, you will never be sorry!

I recomend the old M40-A1.
Check em out at www.mcmfamily.com
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:28 AM
Gold Member

Pray tell, how is getting a stock job that costs as much or more than the whole gun did a worthwhile investment, before something like a bedding or trigger job, or improved springs? Hell, I'd consider a new barrel before spending $600 on a stock. Maybe I'm missing something here?

Monte