Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Remington 770

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2008, 12:07 PM

Remington 770

Well I guess I'm just getting into long range hunting, just over the weekend. I've just acquired the 3 disc DVD "How to Shoot Beyond Belief." I'm 2 or 3 hours into it, is the other 8 worth the watch?

So down to business: I own, right now, a Remington 770 in the 30-06. There isn't any modifications done. It's hard to ask the right questions, I haven't yet educated myself which questions to ask. I have read some articles on the main page and I've read some terms like "free floating barrel," "MOA," "POI," and "bedding the rifle" and I'm unsure what they're referring to (apart from the free floated barrel, I've read up on that). I've looked around here and Google and I guess my main question is: Where can I find these definitions? and Is my current rifle a good starting rifle?

Sorry for being so bland, any help or information is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 04-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Well I guess I'm just getting into long range hunting, just over the weekend. I've just acquired the 3 disc DVD "How to Shoot Beyond Belief." I'm 2 or 3 hours into it, is the other 8 worth the watch?

So down to business: I own, right now, a Remington 770 in the 30-06. There isn't any modifications done. It's hard to ask the right questions, I haven't yet educated myself which questions to ask. I have read some articles on the main page and I've read some terms like "free floating barrel," "MOA," "POI," and "bedding the rifle" and I'm unsure what they're referring to (apart from the free floated barrel, I've read up on that). I've looked around here and Google and I guess my main question is: Where can I find these definitions? and Is my current rifle a good starting rifle?

Sorry for being so bland, any help or information is much appreciated.

Thanks!
you spent the $$ watch the dvd as free floating barrel," "MOA," and "bedding the rifle" are all on there

as for poa its on here MARKSMANSHIP BASICS - Natural Point of Aim

as well as 7 other topics to read in the The Basics, Starting Out just above your post

if you not shore after that ask what your not shore about and im shore someone can help
Old 04-14-2008, 02:42 PM

Well from the sticky's listed, they're really just explanations of the shot. I can shoot.. 100 yards. Although, I've never attempted anything longer than 100 yards. I just wondered whether my current rifle would be good enough to do these long range targets, or if I should use another.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

You have to start some where.... Use what you can afford. If that's just what you have on hand then use it, get used to it and based on that experiance you'll get the idea of what you want to move forward.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:50 PM

Well price isn't really a huge issue. I'm thinking about getting one of the rigs from GA Precision. Anyone know anything about them?
Old 04-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Silver Member

It's all right here....

I'm new too. I thought about taking a $1600 class before I found this site. Read all the "featured articles" on the home page. It's pretty much all there. And if you have a question, just ask....lots of very helpful people. I'm now shooting better than I ever could imagine.

Midwayusa.com has a good definition section if you need to learned "terms" people use.

MidwayUSA - GunTec Dictionary of Shooting, Reloading, Gunsmithing, Hunting & Outdoor Terms
Old 04-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Silver Member

Your 30-06 will shoot long range. How accurate is it? Only you can answer that. What type optics are you using? Great scopes often cost as much or more than the gun. Shoot the gun you have and learn a little more, then you will have a better idea of what you need / want in a custom gun. Just because you have a custom rifle, that doesn't mean you can shoot an animal at 1000 yds. There is a little more to it than that.

Mike