Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

remington 700 ADL 300 win mag, can it be a long range hunting rifle???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2007, 03:17 PM
Bronze Member

remington 700 ADL 300 win mag, can it be a long range hunting rifle???

I have a Remington model 700 ADL 300 win mag with a synthetic stock. Can this gun be a good long range hunting rifle with some good gunsmithing. What would you guys suggest to do to it to become a true long ranger.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: remington 700 ADL 300 win mag, can it be a long range hunting rifle???

If its wearing the cheap tuperwear factory stock I'd replace it of do a good bit of work to include piller and glass bedding , bedding a steel or aluminum rid the length of the forend and filling with epoxy to make it stiff , have the trigger worked down to a respectible 3lb range and my personal main pep-peev is the crown , have the crown recut.
These are the basic three things that I would do the the gun strait out the gate as they are the most common weak links. Then shoot it and see what it'll do , if you handload you need to pick a bullet and start working up loads. If you don't handload pick several factory loads you'ld consider shooting then go test them to see what shoots the best.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:58 PM
Platinum Member

depends on the amount of gunsmithing you want to spend on it. I would have the trigger tuned. either get a new stock or have it bedded. aluminium pillar bedded. If you want to go completely custom then it is just what you want.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:28 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the input guys what does having my stock aluminum pillar bedded do. I don't quite know what this is. Also do muzzelbreaks just take out kick or do they add in accuracy?
Thanks again I'm starting to get excited to start in on it!
Old 01-29-2007, 09:31 PM
Silver Member

brakes reduce the recoil allowing you to shoot more accurate
Old 01-30-2007, 09:17 AM
Platinum Member

Piller and Glass bedding both do about the same things , they mate the action and stock together so that when tightened theiy act as one piece.
Piller bedding is the instalation of aluminum or SS will allow you to tighten your action screws to a nice snug even 45-60 in lbs and not worry about the stock getting tighter on you action because of climate change which will cause the accuracy change.
I personaly piller and glass bed all my guns this gives a skin tight fit and no chance of flexing the action due to over tightening the action screws
Old 01-30-2007, 02:40 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks JD,
Now I've heard or "floating the barrel", is that the same as glass bedding or am I way off. That is when the barrel doesnt touch the stock at all further down the barrel isn't it?