Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Rememingtom j lock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2006, 09:15 PM
Silver Member

Rememingtom j lock

ok im not the brightest light bulb out there. is the j lock good bad does hurt how good or bad the rifle shoots can it be takin off or should i leave it alone thanks Jim wannbe long range hunter
Old 02-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Rememingtom j lock

Not exactly sure what negitive effects it has on accuracy but Ive heard that it is not a good thing to help with accuracy , I'm guessing that the new desgine has a heavier firingpin which slows lock time and thats a bad thing in most cases and as for most factory firingpins its a sloppy fit.
As for changing it yes it can be done , their are several replacement shrouds on the market , but for the money I'd go with the whole shroud pin replacement setup from Gre-Tan , it comes with a new light weight firing pin , tight spring and new replacement bolt shroud that Aluminum the whole setup drops some wight from the gun and makes for a better fitting firing pin the cost is around $50 or so and its a simple at home swap
Old 02-16-2006, 09:52 PM
Silver Member

Could someone post a picture of a jlock safety?
Old 02-16-2006, 10:55 PM
Gold Member

these are not the best photos, but you can see the spring is "snaked". the spring actully contacts the inside of the bolt body, where as the non j-lock it doesnt touch the inside.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...8/DVC00044.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...8/DVC00043.jpg
Old 02-17-2006, 07:10 AM
Gold Member

Heres the cure for the junk lock that JD told you about.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/P...NG+PIN+ASSEMBLY
Old 02-17-2006, 05:44 PM
Silver Member

alright thanks guy's is this something and average person can do or should. i have a Gunsmith do it thanks again Jim
Old 02-17-2006, 06:08 PM
Silver Member

Hi Dead_Beat, the average person can easily change out a firing pin/spring assembly in a couple of minutes. I just got the two items below from Sinclair to replace the J-lock on a VSF.
Sinclair Firing Pin Removal Tool
PIERCEision Gun Works Remington Firing Pin Assemblies
Also added this trigger to the VSF and also a VS: Rifle Basix Rem Trigger LV-1 Model

Sinclair may cost a bit more than other places but they have great service and will spend time on the phone when you have questions. And they're much nicer to deal with than Sierra's tech support. Maybe I shouldn't have brought up hunting with Matchkings though... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]