Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Reloading Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2004, 09:19 PM
Silver Member

Re: Reloading Techniques

Hey Sludge,

Jewell triggers are $150 at Russ Haydon Shooters Supply. Great people to deal with too. They've got an entire toys r us for gun folks.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:19 PM
Bronze Member

tks for the info. They sure have Midway USA beat on em.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:36 PM
Bronze Member

Montana Extreme, WARNING: STRONG VAPORS!

I opened up a bottle awhile ago, this stuff is deadly! I am cleaning my bore out, previously I used Hoppes #9 Benchrest formula but this stuff is getting even more crud out. DO NOT SNIFF THE BOTTLE, it doesn't have the aroma of the original Hoppes #9. Opening windows and ventilation is necessary if your in a house, if your in an open space you should be fine.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:07 AM
Bronze Member

LOL yea the smell is kinda on the strong side
Old 01-03-2004, 02:31 AM
Platinum Member

I wouldn't worry too much about the JB, my 300 Ultra (factory barrel too) polished up nicely with many strokes using the stuff, now it copper fouls very little, Flitz works well too. The new Lilja barrel gets the JB treatment just as well.

I hate to suggest a bullet that's even more expensive, and one you probably don't even need, as far as terminal performance, but the Accubond has proven very accurate in two of my rifles, you just might try it and see.

Try the loads with and without the brake on it. The 300wm isn't that much recoil and it may shoot better without it, it will change harmonics.

Size your brass for zero headspace.
Inline or competition sleved type seater will help RO numbers too.
RO numbers may be "high" on "fired" cases, ie. offset chamber neck (like mine, .005" RO) or thin brass on one side of neck. Look at the RO numbers after each step. Rotating 180 deg midway on seating can help, although I think the die setup pretty much determines the outcome no matter what you do here.

I don't use mica, never worked at all for me. I don't clean the powder residue from the necks either, I think it keeps the bullet from bonding to the brass and keeps things more consistant if the ammo sets loaded longer than a few hours. I also don't tumble brass either. They get cleaned off with a damp rag after using water soluble lube, Redding or RCBS, either one, the water soluble type tho. Brass is clean enough for my beauty pagents. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Necks for factory chambers are nk turned for 80-100% cleanup. Bullets seated on lands, or into lands .010" to start any development. Ladder test to note MV and group nodes at 300 yards or more. Ladder test again to confirm the first one wasn't BS. Clean too often and you'll often deal with powder fouling inconsistancies that screw your tests all up. Often takes three or more to settle in, even when changing bullets or powder... stick with one combo throughout test. Know that these could be affecting groups if switching powder or bullet, best to start clean.

Hard to say what's causing the fliers. If you're using a 210M, try a 215M, or the other way around with what looks like a good load.

Do the groups string vertical, or horizontal.... or just round with a flier?

Only change one component at a time.

You might try H4831 or H4350 too.

I decide on a powder, then find the best bullet, then best OAL, then best primer...
Old 01-03-2004, 02:48 PM
Silver Member

To SCO.... I did the exact same thing when I got my first bottle of MEX. I wanted to see how effective it smelled. About put me on the ground!!!! My eyes watered for a good five minutes and I couldn't smell anything but ammonia for about an hour.

That was a quick lifelong lesson....
Old 01-05-2004, 08:39 AM
Platinum Member

For guys wanting to get into serious accuracy reloading, best book is Sinclairs 10th Edition Sinclairs Int Reloading and Shooting Handbook. #BK10 at $12.95 at www.sinclairintl.com

BH