Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

**Reloading Safety Reminder**

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2003, 09:47 AM
Silver Member

Re: **Reloading Safety Reminder**

I've got to agree with Darryl on wearing glasses. This was strongly re-enforced to me 2 weekends ago.

I was firing in my first ever F-Class match at Butner, NC in a 600yd 3 match Agg match and my 11th shot in the first match had a primer rupture (not a peircing from pressure but from a primer defect) on the edge of the primer. When the shot fired I saw the black smoke from the action and felt my face get peppered with particles. If you look at my eyeglasses now it looks like they got hit with a violent sandstorm on the left lens (I'm left handed). If I hadn't been wearing them...........

And this wasn't even testing loads. This is a known good load of H4831 and the same lot of primers that I've fired probably 300 primers out of already in 65F weather. I've fired this same loads for 2yrs in much hotter weather then 65F.
That one primer was defective somehow and cracked down the edge of it and allowed the gas to leak out a pin hole on the edge. It blow the ejector back into the bolt (which I haven't been able to get back out yet) and burnt the bolt face as Ian eluded to above with some gas cutting around the extractor also.

The only good thing was the shot was still an X to keep my perfect string going. Ended up with a 600-38X and finished 4th that day. I fired another 40+ rds after that primer rupture without incident using the same componets.

Always keep safety in mind!

Steve
Old 05-12-2003, 10:45 AM
Silver Member

ok, so i'm thinking those vent holes in the bolt are sounding real good.

for those who have them, how'd you get them done- local smith, sent somewhere, etc- and what kind of prices are we looking at?
Old 05-12-2003, 01:18 PM
Platinum Member

Here's the pic Tim sent me of his two vented bolts, notice one vents to the mag-well, and the other vents in front of the lug abutments.

Tim, can you measure the hole size? I can modify my bolts myself I'm sure.

[ 05-12-2003: Message edited by: Brent ]
Old 05-12-2003, 07:11 PM
Silver Member

the one on the left looks like a standard remington bolt identical to both of my 700's. the one on the right i can see a difference, but what's there between the one on the left and both of mine?
Old 05-12-2003, 09:40 PM
Silver Member

Look at the one on the left. see the little hole under the arrow? Maybe it was supposed to come with such a hole, but that one didn't. If the primer blew out or pierced, all of the gas vented at the back of the bolt.

Brent,
The holes on the M70 bolt ( right ) measure .1515
Old 05-12-2003, 10:05 PM
Silver Member

yea, i see the hole, and both my 700 bolts have it. probably explains why i didnt get all kinds of stuff blown in my face when the primer blew the other day.

point for remington....
Old 05-13-2003, 01:55 AM
Silver Member

Good reminder. Glad you´re okay. Ouch!

Too little powder has happened to me once, no fun either.Slow powder in a large case, do not go below minimum.Detonation is for real. Just experimenting... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]