Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

**Reloading Safety Reminder**

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2003, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

Re: **Reloading Safety Reminder**

Tailgunner has a good point. I have a bunch of old reloading manuals and found as much as a four grain reduction from one manual to the next from the same manufacturer. We are really on our own when we work up loads since there are so many variables. Sometimes changing the brand of your cartridge case can be enough to significantly bump-up pressures.

Here is a neat tip for anyone who sticks a case at the range and doesn't have a cleaning rod to drive it out with. Find a nail or any object that will slide easily down your barrel. Hold the rifle by the muzzle and drop the nail or whatever down the barrel and then simply move the rifle up and down so that the nail smacks the cartridge case. Amazing how much force can be focused on the head of that nail - works like an impact wrench. I have helped guys at the range several times with this trick and it worked everytime.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:13 PM
Bronze Member

Go to the range without a cleaning rod, NEVER.

I would advise newbie reloaders to stick to the book, for awhile.

Russ
Old 05-11-2003, 05:54 PM
Silver Member

*sits tearing apart rounds with 2 pliers, while bolt waits patiently at the side to be cleaned*

"me too!!"
Old 05-11-2003, 09:46 PM

As the saying goes, "Been there, done that". I don't want to repeat the catechism because no one listens and it never seems to sink in until you do it at least once.

But...here is something to think real hard about:

A 5% reduction in velocity is a 10% reduction is pressure or another way to think about it is loose 50-75fps and you lose 2500psi which is enough to save your ass if you need to walk on the wild side all the time.

I'm talking about a 3000fps load at 50,000psi, a pretty normal load for many medium capacity cases. 50-75fps/2500psi is only 2.5% but it is enough to take you through August in the desert without sticking a bolt once. Never had one bit of trouble following this advice in the last 30 odd years. We won't discuss the first 30.

Come to think of it, I don't remember any animals hit with one of those loads ever coming over and bracing me for not packing it in till the primers lost their ring and the brass flowed.
Old 05-11-2003, 09:57 PM
Silver Member

Just a simple reminder, that even the "Book Max" may be too much for your rifle. I've had a few rifles with the vent holes drilled into the bolts. I don't much care for doing much load work on guns that don't have them any more.

I need to find a new photo hosting site to post some pictures of them.

The first time I blew a primer, it was on a bolt with out such vents. The burn covered 3/4 of my right cheek. From a half an inch under my eye and down, from a half inch from my nose, almost to my ear, the pain and mark lasted for a week.

This afternoon, I was working up a load, ( Same action as my first one, only now it has a vent hole. ) moving up .2" at a time. I got to "book max" and took four shells out to the bench. On the third shot, the jacket blew apart about 80 yards out. On the fourth shot, the primer blew. This time I only felt a slight tingle on my cheek under my safety glasses.

Those vent holes are well worth the price of having them cut in.

Tim
Old 05-12-2003, 12:28 AM
Platinum Member

Tim,
Glad to see ya still got your eyeballs!!

I'm dieing to see a picture of the vent holes drilled in one, email me a pic if you can and I'll post it for you. I just can't picture where they're placed and such.

I agree, the book max is often too high for some guns, so always start low and work up carefully.

BOONYTOO,
you got me thinking, I wondered how that ratio of velocity to pressure played out in the tests I've done on the Oehler 43.

I looked over a bunch of test data for several guns and loads, just looking to see how much pressure jumped when a 50-75 fps gain in velocity was achieved.

I found only a couple that only jumped 2500 psi, a couple that were only 3000 psi and by far, 90 percent of them were between 3500-4000 psi, a couple that were over 5000 psi.

Most loads looked like they were about 3000-3500 psi higher at 50 fps faster.

At 75 fps faster, they were almost always at about 4000 psi higher.

Very interesting, it was real consistant across the board too, that's what I found pretty cool. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2003, 06:39 AM
Platinum Member

I hope your "ALL" wearing safety/shooting glasses when you test loads or for shooting period?

Had primers blow from time to time and almost got pieces in the eye "once". Have wore shooting glasses ever since without fail. Even while LR hunting.

I think wearing safety glasses should be a rule in compitition shooting also. To lose an eye is bad enough, not to mention eating a bolt or pieces of your action.

When the primers flatten, look out. The next step is possible bolt lock-up. I saw two Sako,s locked up because the guys who owned them wanted to drive the 162 gr bullet in a 7/300 Weatherby at 3500 FPS.

Be careful everyone and glad the original poster is OK.

DC