Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

reloading help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Silver Member

reloading help

Need help here going to start reloading. I own nothing! 1st thing what press RCBS? progressive or not? my rifle is a 30.06 might go as big 7mm rem mag and down to 270 win . I have done a lot of work on my rifle and now I know. I need good ammo. so what am I got to do DA
Old 10-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Gold Member

Re: reloading help

I suggest you look at the Forster Co-Ax press. Other presses are also good.

But in my view, the Forster edges them out. I especially like the primer catch and the fact that each primer is set to teh exact same depth. Consitency generally equals repetitive accuracy.

But read up on reloading until your numb before you purchase the equipment. It can get pricey so you do not want to buy equipment that is inadequate or not necessary.

Forster Dies are good as well and in my opinion equal to Redding for the most part, but with reloading equipment you will get a lot of opinions and brand loyalty usually.

Lots of good info on this site as well as the internet in general.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cva54 View Post
Need help here going to start reloading. I own nothing! 1st thing what press RCBS? progressive or not? my rifle is a 30.06 might go as big 7mm rem mag and down to 270 win . I have done a lot of work on my rifle and now I know. I need good ammo. so what am I got to do DA
To start. look at the kits that contain the press,beam scale,powder measure and some of the
prep tools. good brands include Dillion,RCBS,Hornady and others.Also a good reloading book.

Learn all about reloading one at a time and when you really get it mastered then you may want
go to a progressive .

I have loaded for over 50 years and still use the single action presses.

Also if you have a friend that reloads spend some time watching him reload and that will help.

J E CUSTOM
Old 10-09-2009, 06:32 AM
Silver Member

I was looking at that RCBS kit for 200.00. the price scares me. should I be . yes I do know somone thats reloads going to hook up with him
Old 10-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cva54 View Post
I was looking at that RCBS kit for 200.00. the price scares me. should I be . yes I do know somone thats reloads going to hook up with him
Considering I have used my original Rock Chucker for 50 years and the newer (Longer)
RCBS Rock Chucker since they came out with it I would have to say it has been money well
spent.

I have seen and used other presses but I could see no advantages in changing to one
because the RCBS was just as good as some and better than others.

The kit will get you started and you can add to it as you like.

An electronic powder scale will probably be first on the list , But keep your beam scale as
back up.

RCBS makes good dies and are simple to set up . and after you get some experience you
may want to try some of the competition dies (A lot more expensive).

Just some more info.

J E CUSTOM
Old 10-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Platinum Member

Absolutely single stage press first until you really learn what and how. You will need it anyway.

My Rockchucker is almost 40 years old. Look at ebay. Forester is good to so take your pick.

You will screw up with a progessive if you start off there and that could lead to a "significant emotional event" and a change of underwear if you survive unscathed.

BH

Last edited by BountyHunter; 10-10-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Silver Member

ok rockchucker is. just so I know this press will do pistol and LA rifle to right ?

Last edited by cva54; 10-09-2009 at 10:45 PM.