Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Reloading equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2002, 05:46 PM

Re: Reloading equipment

I came over here from accurate reloading after reading ALL the MK and LR hunting posts. I can see this is going to get expensive, getting some of the specialized equipment I see mentioned.

I've been handloading for over 30 years. I did a lot of long range target shooting 25 years back and got back in it the summer of 2000,(if you consider 600 yds long range).

As far as equipment goes, I started with lee hand dies that my brother had, to load my mil surp 8mm mauser. Got my first deer with a shell I loaded with them. After a stint in the AF I bought a used RCBS set up with a rockchucker. I used that press for 10 years before I got my Bonanza co-ax. I sold the rockchucker and a spar-t that I had after useing the co-ax for a while. The mechanical advantage of the co-ax is so much better than anything else, I doubt I'll ever change.

My newest project is a 300WSM in a Browning A-bolt synthetic stalker. So far it is showing promise for the 600 yd shoot at Ripon Wi. This is a fun shoot with almost no rules, any rest and almost any caliber. Last summer we had a guy shoot a .50 BMG there, but never again!

I look forward to participating in the discussions here. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2002, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

J_Towns

Welcome to LRH, hope you like it.
Old 02-04-2002, 11:10 PM
PUBLISHER

J_Towns

Do people really live in a town called Oshkosh?

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 02-05-2002, 03:15 AM

Naw Len it's more of an existance! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Got a serious case of cabin fever right now, itchin to go do some long range shooting.
I've got some 168 and 190 MK's to try out in the WSM, also some a-max 168's.

Guess I better get a comparator, Red's has one by RCBS, is that a good one or should I get something else? Never have checked runnout of any of my ammo.

After reading some of these posts, I find out how little I know. It'll be fun learning the how to's of long range hunting.
Old 02-05-2002, 11:56 PM
Gold Member

Neat! I never actually ran into anyone from Oshkosh, WI. I happen to be from Oshkosh, NE. originally [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Later,

Monte
Old 02-19-2002, 06:35 PM

sR90,
I've used the Forster Co-ax with Forster and Redding dies for six years now on everything from 7mm TCU to 7mm Rem Ultramag, with flawless performance and no complaints. The ring clamps on the Redding dies are a little loose in the Forster press however, and you might want to replace them with easily obtainable Forster rings. And yes, the Ultra-Seater option on the Redding Ultramag die is reported to give clearance problems, though I use and have no such problem with the standard Redding die. The Forster dies are nice too, and come also with the micrometer seater options, but typically cost considerably more than the Reddings. I load everything that will fit in a 3.8" magazine with my Forster press using Redding and Forster dies, again with good results and no problems.
Old 03-03-2002, 08:02 PM
Silver Member

Tommy

Sounds like you really like the Forster coax press. How repeatable is the quickchange system on the press when you remove and reinstall the dies?

Seem like this feature would be great. Do you have to readjust the dies at all when changing dies?