Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Reloading equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2002, 11:02 AM

Re: Reloading equipment

Hi,
For the "How To" on reloading, get the Precision Shooting "Reloading Guide", available from Cabelas for about $30. It will tell you the ins and outs of precision ammo building. It covers the different presses, neck turning, etc., and gives you the when and whys.

Hope this helps.
C'ya. John.
Old 01-08-2002, 01:37 PM
Bronze Member

Essentially, when using a threaded die, there's too much slop in the mateing of the die and the press for them to be alligned "perfectly" by simply screwing the die in and locking it down. By measuring the neck runout first to insure you're starting out with little to no neck runout, you can find out if your die is making things worse. Find the high spot on the case neck (if there is one) and mark it with a marker on the body of the case. Try to find a repeatable spot to line the index mark up with on your shell holder and then neck size the case. Remeasure the case neck. If it has the same amount of runout in the same place, you're good. If it has more runout, or the runout it has is in a different place, back the die out of the press, rotate the locking collar an eight of a turn or so. Lock it down and thread the die back into the press. Grab a new piece of brass, and repeat the process. The Hornady style locking rings are perfect for this... They clamp to the threads, rather than dig into them. I wish Redding would get their act together and send the dies with that type of collar. Anyway, keep futzing with it untill you get thing aligned. If manipulating the die doesn't get the job done, you can try rotating the shell holder too. My .243 IMP cases and die require the die to be in just such a spot, and the shell holder too. When they're where they need to be though, I'm getting consistant .0005" bullet runout and very tight groups as a result. Did I mention it doesn't hurt to do the same procedure with your seating die?
Hope this clears thing up a bit. If not, let me know.
Coyoter
Old 01-08-2002, 01:59 PM
Silver Member

I understand now, thanks for clearing that up Coyoter. How long does it usually take you to find the right spot?
Old 01-09-2002, 12:51 AM
Silver Member

I just ordered to good reloading guides from sinclair, thanks.
Old 01-09-2002, 03:50 AM
Bronze Member

With my Redding Comps, less than an hour per die. Understanding that involves alot of B.S.ing with WyoJeepeer and a few other distractions along the way. If you put your mind to the task, probably 20 minutes per die.
One thing I should have mentioned earlier... If you're using a full lenght die, it's all for naught. The body sizer part of the die will align the case with the neck part of the die and if the neck part of the die is imparting .002" neck runout, the only cure is to buy a different die. ie, it took me $300+ to find out that my RCBS neck die was puting .008" neck runout into my cases for .012" bullet runout and I couldn't hit the ground with a bullet if I aimed farther than 3' from my feet! OK, maybe not that bad, but you should have seen my targets.
Coyoter
Better Shirley?

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Coyoter ]
Old 01-09-2002, 10:57 AM

Darn, Coyoter,
After all the beer we drank together.
"Wyo" as in Wyoming.
"Jeep" as in my nickname.
"Peer" as in my last name.
That's TWO "E"s in Jeep and the same in peer.
LOP! (inside joke).

Hey, Len, How do you change your handle on this board?

I think I want to change it to something masculine like Shirley.

Ya'all take care.
C'ya. John.
Old 01-09-2002, 05:53 PM
PUBLISHER

I don't blame you for wanting to change it! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

With this software you simply can't. But---you could create a new membership and I could delete the old one.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors