Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Reloading equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2002, 08:12 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Reloading equipment

Hello SR90

I also had the Ammo Master (A very good press) but sold it a while back to Speedy Gonzalos. It will load 50 Cals and I thought I was going to jump into that but, didn't.

The co-ax is a very good press and the only reason I don't use it is because I load mostly large cases and with high custom dies, the Yoke won't clear the die. As mentioned, they do make another handle that will. As far as accurate loading, the Rockchucker does just fine.

I didn't mention V-Blocks or case/bullet aligning tools. Some or most of these can be bought from Sinclare or K&M along with inside flashhole deburring tools and other needed items also.

Good luck to you.
Darryl Cassel

PS I forgot to mention I also use a K&M Arbor press for some of the match loading.
Sinclare makes a good one as does Neil Jones.

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]
Old 01-06-2002, 03:43 PM
Silver Member

I have looked at the sinclair arbor press, it looks really cool. I wondered about getting the arbor press and wilson hand dies, then a Rockchucker later to full length size.

Do you guys like using arbor presses and hand dies over regular presses and will the sinclair arbor press load ultra magnum calibers?
Old 01-06-2002, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member

Sr90

For full length sizing medium and big Mags use the Rock Chucker. For JUST neck sizing most cases, you can use the arbor press.

For match shooting, arbor presses are used quite a bit especially if the shooter just neck sizes his cases.

You need BOTH type presses for all around loading.I would get the Rockchucker first, if I were you. If your getting into LR hunting, you will want to full length size your large mag cases because of the heavy loads and the case stretching you may encounter.

The Wilson dies are very good for the match shooter and arbor presses.

Darryl Cassel

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]
Old 01-06-2002, 05:57 PM
Silver Member

What about Chrony's guys, I heard the Oehler is the best, is any as accurate at the Oehler?

Hey Darryl how much difference in group size have you noticed between loads done with the Arbor press and loads done with the Rockchucker, is it significant?
Old 01-06-2002, 07:20 PM
Bronze Member

I use the Wilson hand dies with the Sinclair arbour press, with good results.
Old 01-06-2002, 07:29 PM
Silver Member

Decisions, decisions, I never knew it would be so tuff to decide on the equipment.

on Chrony's, the CED Millenium looks really good, and is a reasonable price too, is anyone familiar with it?

Lostsheep, how do you like the Sinclairs Arbor press compared to conventional presses? What kind of accuracy are you getting with your setup?
Old 01-06-2002, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

SR90

Presses;
I think in 1000 yard shooting, you can get just as good of loads from a Rockchucker or any GOOD press because of it's versatility of full length resizing with ease.

The Arbor press is used quite a lot at 100 and 200 yard matches where you reload the same matched cases during a match.
If your getting into match shooting and smaller calibers, then use the Arber style.

If you use a good O frame press, benchrest or custom dies, the V Blocks or Necco tool, your bullet to case straightness will be just as good as any Arbor press and Wilson dies will give you.
I use both style presses.

Chronagraphs.
From some of my friends past experiance with Chrony, I would stay FAR away from them. One friend had two that stopped working. The other friend had one go out on him.
The best known to the civilian shooter and probably the most accurate would be the Oehler 35P. . Next to them, would be the PACT Professional which is very good also. I have both the Oehler and the Pact.

You might say you get what you pay for. Oehler would be the 1st choice hands down.
This has been my experiance with chronagraphs.

Hope that helped
Darryl Cassel