Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2004, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

Re: reloading

Old fart,
I used to weigh and segregate bullets out of need - not uncommon to find a bullet or two per box that was up to 3 or more grains above or below the average weight. Not anymore, the manufacturers have weight continuity very good, now we are looking at tenths and maybe a total of one grain vaiation between high and low in a whole box.

The bearing surface thing is also something we should not have to be concerned about, but it is there. Bullet making presses have something like 17 punches or dies, that many bullets per stroke. They are not exactly the same, different wear etc. Interesting that virtually every manufacturer makes bullets with the same basic machine, all gov't surplus stuff that has been re-built and modernized.

Segregating by weight, meplat tuning - whatever, it is all part of the fun - unless we get so tied up in it that it is not fun anymore...

Hope your new rifle is a dandy.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:44 AM
Bronze Member

Re: reloading

I am a m-14 and m-1 shooter and therfore use military brass so I weight segregate it but not the bullets. I normally use barnes x bullets and they have proven to be about as uniform as it gets. For the brass I debur the flash hole, swage the primer pocket, trim, debur and segregate into half grain increments. The m-14 is a tack driver doing this and I regularly shoot it to 1000 yards in the field. I've not had a dreason to change anything I do for it since it is totaly reliable and can accurately hit prairie dogs to 700 yards at least. Well that's the farthest I have seen any. I got a jack rabbit a couple weekends ago at 1000 on the second shot. I messed up on calling the windage the first shot, but only by a couple inches. I know bolt guns can appreciate more work done sometimes as far as uniformity of the components but this works for me.