Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Which recticle ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2004, 12:35 PM

Re: Which recticle ??

well,for the hunting you are planning I would go with a Leupold with a std.Duplex as you will be looking into a dark areas, and this will be easier to see then. Plus on the late evenings and earier mornings the Std Duplex works great.

and thats whay I am using on my 300 winny also. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

300shooter
Old 06-20-2004, 04:53 PM
Silver Member

You might like one of those Leupold Lit reticle scopes.

That little illuminated cross is very interesting, especially if you are shooting into dark holes.

D. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-20-2004, 11:53 PM

Which recticle ??

This will be my first elk hunt. Ive hunted for many years but have never been to Colorado before Elk hunting .Which recticle should I get regardless of the scope. Fine ,Dot, , HEAVY Balistic, ??? The scope prob be a Burris ,Leupold or Zeiss in the 40/50 mm class in a 4.5 to 14 power.They all are good for certain conditions but need a all purpose reticle. I quess Ill be hunting the high country and dark blowdown areas.You guys have been there what do recomend. Thx
Old 06-21-2004, 02:01 AM
Silver Member

Standard duplex has worked great for me. Not to heavy for fine work and not to hard to see in failing light. I've been using a 4.5-14 Leupold for several years. It's a good all around product that has helped me take several bulls. Good luck and enjoy your hunt!!
Old 06-25-2004, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member

MARCUSW2...FOR THE MONEY, A LIT RETICLE WILL LET YOU SEE A PRECISE SPOT ON AN ANIMAL IN SHADOW OR FAILING LIGHT. A NON-ILLUMINATED RETICLE WILL DISAPPEAR ON ITS HIDE. A HIGHER POWER SCOPE WILL ALSO HELP POSITIVELY IDENTIFY AND SCORE AN ANIMAL IN DECENT LIGHT, BUT WILL WASH OUT AT THE HIGHER POWERS IN POOR LIGHT.( NEEDS TO BE A VARIABLE). WATCH FOR LEGAL SHOOTING HOURS, AND BE ABSOLUTELY SURE OF YOUR TARGET IN POOR LIGHT.

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time