Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Recommended reading?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2008, 11:38 PM
Silver Member

Recommended reading?

I have been hunting and reloading for a couple of decades. To this point none of my exploits have pushed me beyond 400 yards on a critter,(with the exception of one 500 yard prairie dog (six shots)). I have to admit that I am intrigued with what I see here as well as the art of the sniper.

I wonder if anyone would recommend a book or two for me to read that would give me a beginners overview in the arena of shooting 600 plus yards on targets or game.

I love reading stuff on this site, but my attention span is longer with a book in my hands.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

Chad
Old 08-26-2008, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Recommended reading?

Becoming adept at long range hunting requires learning a lot of boring information that at the time might not seem important but in the end is a piece in a big puzzle. While you asked for a book, the Sierra Exterior Ballistics website is a really good place to learn a lot of basic fundamental information.

exterior ballistics
Old 08-26-2008, 11:17 AM
Silver Member

I know it's not a book, but do yourself a favor and get Shawn Carlock's video. Sounds like it is exactly what you are looking for. Long Range Hunting-Video (Shawn Carlock, Defensive Edge)

Old 08-26-2008, 12:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberbeast7 View Post
I know it's not a book, but do yourself a favor and get Shawn Carlock's video. Sounds like it is exactly what you are looking for. Long Range Hunting-Video (Shawn Carlock, Defensive Edge)
I can agree with this. i have the video and it's all most like taking the class in person. i got a couple of videos about long range shooting from cabela's and they sucked so bad i didn't even watch all of them. get Shawn's video and you will love it.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:24 PM
Silver Member

Great recommendations. Thank you.

I have checked out some stuff on the Sierra site in the past, and this reminds how thoroughly they explain exterior ballistics in the reloading manual that I already have. I will read it again.

I'll be ordering the Carlock video shortly. Now I just have to figure out how to get control of the DVD players away from the wife and kids..........