Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

recoil problem....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 06:37 PM
Silver Member

Re: recoil problem....

I have 6BR with 16lbs rifle. Minimal recoil.

My 11 yrs old daughter shoots 6BR and she was laughing!!!

I also suggest 6.5 caliber, like 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x284 or 243 Win.
You can add some weight on the rifle to reduce the recoil.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member

Either an Encore or a Contender in a long range caliber or get a sled and clamp a big one down. No recoil there.

I thought they put threadlocker on those screws...............................
Old 09-16-2013, 07:18 PM

Thanks to all who have replied or pm'd. Gives me lots to think about and consider.

I am by no means a cripple, but I do like the use of my limbs.

Forgot to mention where I'm located and haven't went and added the info on my profile.

I live in South Central Missouri, so the deer ain't huge but they are getting bigger as more food plots are used than there used to be.

1000 yard shots are rare here....too many hills. 600 yards....well according to my range finder I do have several opportunities here on the farm from my back porch!

Thanks again! Looking forward to participating here.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:38 PM
Gold Member

just my two cents, I have a savage lrp in 260 rem that has no recoil what so ever. Kicks about like a 223. Not expensive and a tack driver. This rifle shoots as good as any of my customs. Ive taken many whitetail 500 yards and in with it. Just food for thought. Take care.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHO View Post
just my two cents, I have a savage lrp in 260 rem that has no recoil what so ever. Kicks about like a 223. Not expensive and a tack driver. This rifle shoots as good as any of my customs. Ive taken many whitetail 500 yards and in with it. Just food for thought. Take care.
+1 on the 260. I have a 260 that shoots the 140 berger with great accuracy and recoil is non existent. I shot a deer at 750 with mine last year. It has more than enough energy to take deer at long range and you can load it with 95 grain v-max's and go predator hunting with it as well. Good luck

Brandon
Old 10-01-2013, 05:54 AM
Gold Member

My Savage Long Range Hunter in 6.5-284 Norma has a great factory brake on it. It shoots awesome and has near no recoil with the brake. I would compare the recoil to about an AR-15. And the 6.5-284 will shoot accurately to 1000 yards when you decide to stretch a little further than 600.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorsman1 View Post
Thanks to all who have replied or pm'd. Gives me lots to think about and consider.

I am by no means a cripple, but I do like the use of my limbs.

Forgot to mention where I'm located and haven't went and added the info on my profile.

I live in South Central Missouri, so the deer ain't huge but they are getting bigger as more food plots are used than there used to be.

1000 yard shots are rare here....too many hills. 600 yards....well according to my range finder I do have several opportunities here on the farm from my back porch!

Thanks again! Looking forward to participating here.
I would stick with the 6.5's, put a good brake on it like the Snowy Mountain Rifles brake, and a weight of 8-10lbs depending on how much toting you are going to do.

6.5x47 Lapua, .260 Rem, 6.5x284 in that order from lesser to greater recoil. All of them are very mild especially running the 130gr bullets and out to 600yds they are all more than capable of taking deer.