Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

recoil pad for offhand magnum hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2003, 03:40 PM

recoil pad for offhand magnum hunting

Was wondering if anyone can recommend a good recoil pad for offhand shooting and other hunting conditions when shooting the large magnums - heard a few good thing about the "pachmayr triple mag" pad but was wondering has any other suggestions, comments, or opinions on the pad. - steve_77@hotmail.com
Old 08-22-2003, 04:46 PM
Writers Guild

Re: recoil pad for offhand magnum hunting

Any of the new synthetic/sorbathane recoil pads have very good recoil absorption. Midway and Brownells will have various models for you to look at.

Magnums are going to kick and usually kick hard. Stock shape has as much to do with recoil management as the pad. Get a stock that fits for both length and drop/eye alignment. Don't be concerned if it is Monte Carlo, straight or what have you. It only has to fit you.

If you find a Monte Carlo style stock fits you the best, ensure the cheek piece slopes forward. The Lazz stock has an exaggerated slope and illustrates what I mean. This way the stock is not slapping you in the face as it travels back and up.

The worse stock designs are on your basic/classic shotgun or WW1 rifle with the stocks climbing from heel to action. Ouch!!!

All stocks will travel back and up during recoil when shooting offhand. Having a wide pad will also spread the recoil over a larger area. Weight and muzzle brakes are the only other choices for recoil control.

You could always shoot a 'lesser' cartridge and forget about the above.

Jerry
Old 08-22-2003, 04:52 PM

How about the MERCURY in the stock - is this any good?
Old 09-04-2003, 11:32 PM

ok perhaps i should clarify a few things first i suppose it not a large caliber - i just i love my 300 win mag, but i am of short frame, and in mt TC rifle which is really light, it kind packs a wallop - was just curious if anyone has heard anything about that pad. - steve_77@hotmail.com
Old 09-05-2003, 05:04 PM
Platinum Member

Steve, I just finished putting a Pach. triple mag. recoil pad on my 300 win mag about a month ago. What a world of difference. Before the change, 20-25 rounds were definitly getting my attention (shooting in jeans & T-shirt) but since then it seems like 20-25 is just getting warmed up. I definitly don't regret getting one.
Chris