Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Rebarreling my 7mmrem mag to .300 win mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Rebarreling my 7mmrem mag to .300 win mag?

PM to be sent.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:07 PM
Silver Member

I too have a early 700 rem 7 mag.(1967) nothing blueprinted, just floated the barrel. If you do reload, work up a good load for it an let it fly or find someone you know that reloads an get them to load for you! If all you are goin to shoot is deer, elk, an antalope 500-600 yards, the ol 7 will do what you want. I'm not saying anything against the 300,( I own one an I like it), if that's all you are doin with it, my two cents is leave it alone an shoot! But if you have your heart set on rebarreling, like roninflag said, there are many good barrels out there, just do some reserch an make your choice! Good Luck Too You!!!!

DT
Old 08-23-2013, 10:14 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for your reply. I think that I have decided not to rebarrel. I am just going to shoot it as it is. I am going to replace the stock and a new scope and see how it does.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:25 PM
Silver Member

I think you will be happy with your choice! It's amazing what a stock change will do with a good bedding job! Just my 2cts!!! Again! Good Shooting an Good Luck!!!!

DT
Old 08-24-2013, 10:11 AM
Silver Member

I have been approached on this a lot by several people wanting more power. I simply hand them all the manufactures sectional density's and ballistic coefficients. Let them search the true velocities that the 7mm and the 300 mags can truly be loaded to. Work the math or have them use the Hornady ballistic computer and see if they really want a 300 whiz bang over a 7mm mag. I was in a sports show in Salt Lake City a few years ago and a well respected rifle and ammo manufacture was there touting there product. They had a graph of the 30-378 loaded to the hilt with a high BC bullet vs the 7mm rem mag loaded with the same manufactures bullet(BERGER). The little 7mm mag had more at longer ranges than the big boomer. Imagine what a 7mmrum could do with a 28 to 32 in barrel with the new heavy 175 gr lrab, 180 Berger or the new 195 gr Berger coming out. If you do the research and want to spend your money wisely on these bullets and calibers I believe there would be more 7mm and 338 shooters out there.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:25 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho elk hunter View Post
I have been approached on this a lot by several people wanting more power. I simply hand them all the manufactures sectional density's and ballistic coefficients. Let them search the true velocities that the 7mm and the 300 mags can truly be loaded to. Work the math or have them use the Hornady ballistic computer and see if they really want a 300 whiz bang over a 7mm mag. I was in a sports show in Salt Lake City a few years ago and a well respected rifle and ammo manufacture was there touting there product. They had a graph of the 30-378 loaded to the hilt with a high BC bullet vs the 7mm rem mag loaded with the same manufactures bullet(BERGER). The little 7mm mag had more at longer ranges than the big boomer. Imagine what a 7mmrum could do with a 28 to 32 in barrel with the new heavy 175 gr lrab, 180 Berger or the new 195 gr Berger coming out. If you do the research and want to spend your money wisely on these bullets and calibers I believe there would be more 7mm and 338 shooters out there.
I agree 100%. Like I said, a stock change an good bedding job will do wonders also!
Old 08-24-2013, 10:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho elk hunter View Post
With respect to the OP, (I'm not hijacking this tread) Idaho elk hunter, I take my hat off to you!! That was the best answer an replie anybody could give on this subject! I've tried for years to put it into words like that, just never could!! ( I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer)!! Again, pburton! Didn't meen any disrespect!

DT