Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

The real basics... new to guns how to learn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 04:32 PM
Bronze Member

The real basics... new to guns how to learn

Hello

I'm new to hunting. I started out with a bow. I'm about to start looking into guns but I'd like to learn about different kinds of guns and ammo. There is a lot to learn so I was hoping to get some direction on reading material so I can get started. I know the real basics but that's about all.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sam
Old 11-24-2013, 06:13 PM

Re: The real basics... new to guns how to learn

It would help if you could give an idea what kind of hunting you are looking into. Small game, varmints, waterfowl, big game? This will help narrow down what kind of guns would be most beneficial for you to study up. To get you started I guess Guns and Ammo magazine or Shooting Illustrated would be good reads for you.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:28 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obaro View Post
It would help if you could give an idea what kind of hunting you are looking into. Small game, varmints, waterfowl, big game? This will help narrow down what kind of guns would be most beneficial for you to study up. To get you started I guess Guns and Ammo magazine or Shooting Illustrated would be good reads for you.
Good point. I'm mainly hunting for deer, turkey, and waterfowl in NJ. I might venture out west to hunt big game there at some point for hogs, deer, and elk.

I know the differences between shotguns, rifles, etc but what I don't understand is twist, bullet trajectory, necking, different systems like gas vs inertia, and different kinds of triggers and weights of them. Maybe understanding how fps and mass of bullets play into my choice of gun would be helpful. I'm pretty green...
Old 11-25-2013, 10:44 AM
Silver Member

How much time do you have? LOL. Here is a good series put together that will take you through the majority of it. Start at #1 and work your way through. They do a pretty decent job imho.

Rifle Basix Sav-2 Trigger
168gr Berger VLD Hunting
Remington Brass
WLRM Primers
H1000 69.4 grains
Bullets seated .010" off the lands

Howa 1500 .243
Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 EBR-1 MOA
BlackHawk 30mm rings
87 gr Berger VLD Hunting
Win Brass
WLR Primer
H4350 Powder
Old 11-25-2013, 01:35 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks. I'll check them out.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:56 AM
Gold Member

Most topics you are curious about are things that won't even come into play until you get an itch for some long range shooting. Whether whitetail and bears back east or elk and mule deer out west, if your shots stay under 300-400 yds, then twist rates, trajectories, triggers, etc. won't make much of a difference at these short distances.

There's book learning and then there is learning by experience. LRH can take you a long ways with the book learning, but at some point you will have to get out there and pull a trigger or two. The same can be said of hunting. Learn what you can by reading and talking, but eventually you have to get out in the field and make some mistakes.

Getting started is easy. Buy a Savage bolt action. They tend to be inexpensive and most are accurate out of the box. Try a couple different boxes of ammo to see what works best in your rifle. Get a moderately priced scope (maybe a Vortex Viper?). As a general rule, think small caliber for small game and big caliber for big game. Deer can be anything from .243 on up to the 30 cals. IMO, a Rem 7mm magnum is the best all-around caliber that is "off-the-shelf", but can also transition you into long rang shooting when the time comes.

While you are learning to shoot your new rig at 200 -400 yds, you can begin to explore the wonderful world of twist rates and trajectories as you go.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsugarbear View Post
Most topics you are curious about are things that won't even come into play until you get an itch for some long range shooting. Whether whitetail and bears back east or elk and mule deer out west, if your shots stay under 300-400 yds, then twist rates, trajectories, triggers, etc. won't make much of a difference at these short distances.

There's book learning and then there is learning by experience. LRH can take you a long ways with the book learning, but at some point you will have to get out there and pull a trigger or two. The same can be said of hunting. Learn what you can by reading and talking, but eventually you have to get out in the field and make some mistakes.

Getting started is easy. Buy a Savage bolt action. They tend to be inexpensive and most are accurate out of the box. Try a couple different boxes of ammo to see what works best in your rifle. Get a moderately priced scope (maybe a Vortex Viper?). As a general rule, think small caliber for small game and big caliber for big game. Deer can be anything from .243 on up to the 30 cals. IMO, a Rem 7mm magnum is the best all-around caliber that is "off-the-shelf", but can also transition you into long rang shooting when the time comes.

While you are learning to shoot your new rig at 200 -400 yds, you can begin to explore the wonderful world of twist rates and trajectories as you go.
Take your time in the learning process and enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
The real basics... new to guns how to learn-thumbs-up-sign-thumb8413541_zps85645168.jpg  

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.